Cambodia to Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
January 27th 2009
Published: January 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Peter forgot to mention how when we were in Angkor a small boy was persistently asking us to buy water from him even though we already had a bottle in our hands, Rox said No thank you we are ok where as Peter pretended he couldn't speak English. Despite this the boy suddenly started saying "OH MY GOD" in an American accent and said "you lady are so unfriendly". Even when we came back the little boy was still shouting at Rox saying how unfriendly she was to his friends so Rox finally reacted and said "No you need need to listen I said no thank you" turning red. She didn't stop going on about how she is friendly for the rest of the day.

On the bus to Phenom Phen we were sat next to a young Cambodian couple with the cutest child. After a road side stop the lady got out a bag full of something, we soon realized it was a bag of crickets which we had seen at the side of the road. She then proceeded to take off the legs and feed them to her child, an unusual experience for us. We did not try any. Whilst in Phenom Phen we stayed in a wonderful establishment for $4 a night, for this we had a whole tribe of mosquito's, a fan that didn't work and poo stains on the wall. Oh not to forget the sound of what i thought was the whole place falling down but was in fact wild monkeys getting into some boys room and them all shouting and running.

We went to visit the Killing fields which was quite moving. We then went to S21 which was interesting to see, this was once a high school that was converted into a place in which to in prison and torture people. The building itself was particularly eary and had stains all over the floor which looked like blood. We wondered around for a few hours looking at photos, reading survivors stories along with those who had once worked there. This was really sad to see we couldn't believe this was going on only30 years ago or so.

The guy at our hotel said we needed to get a visa before we got to the border of Vietnam, peter didn't believe him especially when he quoted us $35 a visa, so we checked to see if he was correct about needing one. We found out he was and that due to the following day being New Years eve the embassy would be shut until the 28th so we had a mad rush to the Vietnamese embassy. We did indeed have to pay $35 each for our visa and waited for a good 2hours but we got them in time.

The following day we boarded a bus to make our way to Vietnam. We arrived in Ho Chi Minh City and got in the first taxi we saw stupidly.....the guy told us we had to pay $4 but we said it's not that far put the meter on. The meter went up randomly and the guy seemed to drive around the same block eventually totaling the $4 quoted. It was only the following day we realized the hotel was on the next street we could of walked. Due to it being new years eve there were lots of decorations throughout the city and it was very busy. Because of this most of the prices of things have gone up and alot of things were shut...we should of done our research.

We are off to Nha Trang this evening by an overnight bus....the tan is fading fast so we must head to the beach.

New pictures are up now!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb