Vietnam with Tony


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
October 10th 2005
Published: January 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A beautiful day to sail.A beautiful day to sail.A beautiful day to sail.

Earning my keep as navigator for a day....
When we left Adelaide for Saigon it was about 12 degrees, just nice for a furryKoala, but by that evening........well, lets just say that I wish koalas had sweat glands because it was HOT, damn hot .....real hot!!! That's Ok if you are with a lady koala, but it's not good in the jungle!

We spent a few days in Saigon and the Mekong Delta, with some short trips on the mekong river. Everywhere you go there are people selling something.....anything!

The next day we went to Cu Chi Tunnels and were shown through by an ex-Viet cong soldier called Phoo, who knewall about the tunnel traps and their effects, and was quite happy to show us how they worked! The tunnels were quite an experience for a tree dwelling marsupial.

We also did a day trip to Nui Dat ( ex australian army base) and the Long Tan Battlefield Memorial. There are no maps but Phoo and the driver knew where to go and what to see because Phoo has friends in the area.

At Da Nang we stayed in a lovely resort and just slothed out for four whole days. I slept nearly all the
A beautiful day to sail 2A beautiful day to sail 2A beautiful day to sail 2

Earning my keep as navigator for a day....
time but that's not unusual!!

Hue is the old capital, and there are wonderful old palaces, tombs and temples, and we saw all of them . Then a trip out to see where the Khe San firebase was. Nothing there now but forest and trees, but good to see how fast the jungle regenerates ( but no gum trees in sight!!)

Hanoi was nice, with lots of historical things including the 'Hanoi Hilton' prison and Ho Chi Minh's tomb.

Fantastic trip, but I am very glad to be home on top of my viewing box for a rest!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb