Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
December 28th 2004
Published: December 28th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Sorry about my lack of communication - the internet has been unbelievably slow here, we have to play Solitaire while it loads!

We got away alright on December 28 despite teary mothers at the airport.

We flew into Thailand, where we met up with Angus and Kim for Sarah's 'One Night in Bangkok' birthday party - great fun, although all pretty knackered after Christmas, the flight etc. Everyone we bumped into was talking about the Tsunami - as you can imagine it's had a massive impact in Thailand.

The next day we flew to HCM (Saigon) city which was unbelievable - words can't describe it! 100000s of scooters everywhere, beeping, carrying the craziest loads you can imagine - from rice cookers to stacks of tires. I have never in my life seen so many fairy lights, it was beautiful, if a little Disney-like. Met up with Storm and Nick who had flown in from Indo, so we were 10 - Team Nam!

While in HCM we had the most unbelievable meal - got the guy at the restaurant to pick everything - best food I've ever eaten and SO cheap!

Went on a day trip to the Cu Chi tunnels, where the Vietnamese hid out during the war and fought the US from. Pretty depressing, but very interesting. The preview video was very Vietnamese and describe their heroes as "great American killers".

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb