The War Tour


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
July 20th 2008
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So~ imagine yourself at the Cu Chi Tunnels. You begin by viewing a 1960's Vietnamese propaganda video that refers to the Americans coming at Vietnam like "crazy white devils". You progress to a site where a man in a green uniform pops out of a tunnel built underground. Then members of your tour group and others pop down the hole for photos. You put your camera away. At the next stop fat white women from Indiana are climbing on top of a tank for a photo opportunity or hugging a replica of a Vietnamese soldier and striking a pose while screaming "Mildred, did you get that?" All the while you are listening to the increasingly loud sound of automatic weapons firing as you approach the firing range where your fellow tourists will pay a dollar to give it a try. One member of your group, who has a brother serving in Iraq, breaks down and begins sobbing but nobody really reacts. Apparently they have mistaken the Cu Chi Tunnels for Disney Land.

In the afternoon, after ditching the group because you did not come here to make friends or eat french fries, you visit the War Remnants Museum where you see photographs from Requiem, a collection of photos taken by the hundreds of now-dead war photographers. Other exhibits include torture chambers, Howitzers, B-52's and many photos of the horrors your country inflicted on Vietnam.

I can only imagine the fun that awaits us in Cambodia, where elections are imminent and conflict is ratcheting up along the border with Thailand. Don't worry mom, we are staying away from all political activities and will avoid any areas of conflict even if it means purchasing and extra flight instead of taking the bus.

Stay tuned.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb