Santa and Uncle Ho Ho Ho in Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
January 8th 2005
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gerry and Denise's Journey so far


Christmas Eve in SaigonChristmas Eve in SaigonChristmas Eve in Saigon

Thousands of families on scooters zip past the Opera House where they are preparing for an outdoor concert and ballet.
We booked into a fancy hotel, the Rex, on the 23rd Dec (which had silk kimono dressing gowns for us in the antique Vietnamese wardrobe!) for a couple of nights to make up for the lack of the presence (and presents!) of family and friends. We thought it was going to be a bit grim being in a country that didn't celebrate Christmas but this city is very festive with fairy lights every where, full scale orchestras playing in the street, and lots of little kids dressed in Santa suits, complete with fur hats, even though it's 90 degrees! They celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve and millions of people were out in the Centre of Saigon (our hotel is also in the centre) most of the night. Everyone throws confetti on each other and being Westerners we were particularly targeted!

We had Christmas dinner (Turkey and cranberry sauce etc) at the hotel complete with traditional Vietnamese music and dance. We had to share a table with another (unreconstructed) British couple from Yorkshire. We weren't sure what we had let ourselves in for when they sat down and immediately started to argue. She was really weird, and said she didn't want the set menu (which they had already booked) and wanted the music group to 'turn down the music as it is giving me a headache'!! He told her not to 'put on a face' and she said she would do what 'she frigging wanted'!! We were so shocked we just smiled sweetly at them! The dinner which was relatively expensive was absolutely awful, the music soon stopped and nearly everyone left what was a very large dining hall. So there we were in an empty cavernous room chewing dried up turkey and potatoes (there was nothing else with it) with the couple from hell and a waiter who must have been at least 80 years old and had 4 inches of hair growing from a mole on his chin!!

Anyway that apart we had a great time thanks to the buzz that is Saigon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Uncle Ho's childrenUncle Ho's children
Uncle Ho's children

Lots of families come down to the centre of Saigon during the Christmas period. Uncle Ho (Ho Chi Minh) looks on in the background. I'm not sure what he would have made of all that Capitalist religious nonsense!
War Remnants MuseumWar Remnants Museum
War Remnants Museum

Interesting place for the communist point of view of the American War. Some Vietnamese army guys were visiting at the time.
Artisits at workArtisits at work
Artisits at work

Copying is a great art in Vietnam!
North Vietnamese dancersNorth Vietnamese dancers
North Vietnamese dancers

The 'entertainment' at our Christmas Eve meal.
Fine Arts Museum, SaigonFine Arts Museum, Saigon
Fine Arts Museum, Saigon

A grand old French colonial building and one of the best photo exhibitions I've seen.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb