Good morning Vietnam!! Last few days in Cambodia to Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
May 7th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After taking in the Temples of Angkor, we jumped on a bus to head down to the capital of Cambodia, Phnom Penh. After our first hour in absolute insane traffic and pretty much pure madness, we decided we weren't going to stay very long so we took off the next day for Sihannoukville which is on the Southern coast of Cambodia.

Im sure some people really love Phnom Penh but for us, we didn't take to the city at all. First off, theres no rules for driving. Traffic lights, no need to obey them and if theres an accident...pff, no need to stop to see if the guy that just flew off his motor bike is ok. Cambodia in general is much poorer then we've seen to date and we needed a change from this scenery.

Before we left, we took in a half day at the S-21 Tol Sleung Museum. This is a elementary school that was transformed into a prison where the Khmer Rouge tortured and detained people during their reign of the country. We spent about 2 hrs there and that was enough. Its extremly graffic and really portrays how this prison worked in the mid 1970's. Over 10,000 people died here including some 2,000 kids.

After this, we took a tuk tuk out to the Kiling Fields where the Khmer Rough sent everyone from S-21 to be killed. They have all the wholes dug up where they took out hundreds of bodies just in the early 90's. They said at this "killing field" they exterminated over 20,000 people.
This whole experience was very hard to take. We both just read a book about the reign of the Khmer Rouge so seeing all of this was very hard to stomach.

In the end, we were very happy to we were able to see this because before coming to Cambodia, both Geneve and I really didn't know the details about what happened over here.
This occured in a time when the US just left Vietnam so all the focus of the world was on the US and Vietnam. Very sad to think that 1/4 of Cambodias population were murdered. This included every doctor, student, government worker...pretty much every intelligent person in the country.

After some good rest and relaxation on the beaches of Sihannoukville, we met up with Lisa who just flew over from Montreal. We stayed another day in Sihannoukville but unfortunatley, all it did was rain!! I guess the Cyclone that hit Myannmar came our way so all it has done is rain for the past 3 days.

We took a 10 hr bus and finally arrived in Ho Chi Minh City formarly known as Saigon. Can't wait to explore this city as it looks very interesting and full of action.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb