A Busy Few Days


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
July 14th 2007
Published: July 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It's been a busy few days.
On Thursday we took a day trip to the Cu Chi tunnels. It was very interesting to see the tunnels that were used during the war. They were hot and humid but Brian, being small, had no problem making his way through the 100m stretch of tunnels - 3 times. The rest of us bailed out at the 30 m exit. The tunnels have been widened out for the tourists so I can't imagine what they were really like. My legs still hurt from shuffling along. Brad had to crawl through on his hands and knees. The kids and Brad also took a turn firing a AK-47 in the shoot range.
Yesterday was spent wandering around the city. The kids weren't too happy with me as I made them hike to the Saigon River, which turned out to be flithy and not much to see. The temperature had to have been in the mid 30's and very humid. After seeing the river, we headed for the downtown core where we saw the Opera House, Notre Dame Catheral and the Historic Post Office. The girls managed to find all the brand name designer stores. Then we hit the market...again.
Today we took a day trip to the Mekong Delta. It was very interesting. We rode around the islands in boats, stopping at a coconut candy "factory". Then onto another island for honey tea. Another for lunch and another for fruit samples. We tried Dragon fruit and Jack fruit. As well there was papaya and pineapple. Alysia ended up having an allergic reation to the Jack fruit, which tastes similar to bananas. Her throat started swelling closed, her lips puffed up and she was very itchy. Thank goodness we travel with Benadryl and epi-pens. She took the Benadryl and used some an anti-itch cream another tourist had. We didn't need the epi-pen but had it very handy!! She is doing fine now.
Vietnam has been an experience. We are sad to be moving on. There is still so much to see and do. It has been very inexpensive for the most part. Meals cost about $2-3 per person. Beer is $1. Brad has been enjoying the "Tiger" beer.
Tomorrow we head for Cambodia. I am not sure what the internet service will be like from there so it may be awhile before you hear from us again. We will spend 6 days in Cambodia before heading to Thailand. We have not booked our room yet so it is our plan to just show up and find somewhere to stay....could be interesting.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb