Saigon.....the final leg.


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
April 21st 2007
Published: April 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

11th Entry.....
We caught a nice little Pacific Airlines flight (the Ryan Air of Vietnam) from Da Nang to Saigon (for $US35 !), another 60 minute journey. Again easy to book on-line, lovely staff and we actually had jet engines this time...hey, hey. We have already blogged about Saigon so not too much to write. We decided to save the Mekong Delta till when we come back to Vietnam. We were a bit tired by then and after the Ha Long bay overnight trip we decided that to justify visiting these lovely spots we reckon that one would benefit from spending 2 or 3 nights in each place, at least. During the 2 day/1 overnight trips a lot of the time is spent travelling to get there, which if you are staying for a while is fine.

What we did do this time in Saigon was wander around the more upmarket areas of Saigon down at the river front where all of the flashy hotels are. This was the area that the French created as their main recreational and culture zone. Although we wouldn't choose to stay in that area it is really worth visiting. You can have a lovely lunch banquet in the big 5 star hotel on the main river road for $US7.50. So for a while you can pretend to be a posh tourist or a visiting entrepreneur or diplomat...for a while.....and then its back to the backpackers hostels, the markets, the very crowded streets, the $US 1.50 noodle soups, and the $US1 beers (we just love it).

It has been an amazing 4 weeks. Aly and I have had just an incredible time. We have been to some beautiful and places and have seen lots of wonderful things. It is funny really because we have found that reflecting back on the trip that probably the highlight has been just observing and meeting the gorgeous, generous, kind and fascinating people of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. The kiddies are truly scrumptious.

So, bye for now.
Hope people have enjoyed the blog. Tell people about TravelBlog if they are planning a trip.
Until next time.
Namaste.
luv Aly and Trev xxx

P.S. More photos to come.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb