Winners, grinners and sinners!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
April 15th 2008
Published: April 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The astute judges...The astute judges...The astute judges...

The word on the street is Phi Hai Yen #8 is a certainty.
Why not, it's Saturday???

KFC for lunch, races in the arvo and the Western derby in the evening!!!Just like being back home.......Almost!!!!

Arrived trackside an hour early, which wouldn’t have been so bad except that it was stinking hot!!!(Common occurrence in these Asian countries of late) This gave me the chance to have a good look around, search for a cold beer and seek out some hot tips from the locals!

The races themselves are run very similar to races back home except for a couple of things or I’ll coin the common Vietnamese term “same, same but different!”
The horse’s look more suited to giving children rides at the local show than competing against each other on the race track!! (May have to look into bringing one of Errol’s nags over from home. it might go alright…..might!!) As for the jockeys, they'd look more suited in Batman and Robin costumes than in jockey silks!

The crowd in attendance on this hot, uncomfortable, Saturday arvo consisted of 4323 males, 3 females and one westerner.
Race time was nearing so after conferring with the locals who didn’t speak a word of english and studying a form guide
The mighty  Phi Hai Yen!The mighty  Phi Hai Yen!The mighty Phi Hai Yen!

Odds on, get on!!! It's better than bank interest! $1.50 for a win. (for every $1 you bet,you win an extra .50cents for those not racing minded!)
that I couldn’t read horse number 8 “Phi Hai Yen” got the pick. A couple of nods, points, winks (the horse winked at me in the parade ring) and that was enough to sway me to invest 100000 dong on the nose. The dangers to my horse were Hong Long Hung, Hung Phi Long (glad I wasn’t calling the race!) and also had to keep an eye out for the smokey Carole King..The only western named horse on the card!!

And they’re off!!!!

I didn’t have a clue who was winning or who was losing or where the bloody hell my horse was for most of the race until the last 50 meters of the race! (Sort of like the Melbourne Cup back home really!) When I finally could work out what was happening I was in some trouble. Poor old Phi Hai Yen had his colors lowered today by outsider Phuong the Ngoc but not without incident.. As I was focusing on photographing the thrilling finish a horse did a beeline towards me and crashed through the railing only10m away. I didn’t see it coming but I heard it and saw people running (normally not a good
Second favourite is a joke!Second favourite is a joke!Second favourite is a joke!

He's looking a little nervous...I've got him covered
sign!) I didn’t shit because I’m pretty tough but everyone else did……honest, I didn’t really!!! ;-) Horse and rider all okay but dad or the owner didn’t look to happy with the poor little jock…He should be playing in the swings not racing horses for christ sakes!!!

After losing a few more hundred thousand and finding out my winning system of following the jockey who won the first couple of races was actually the color of the horse, combined that some of the locals were getting a little edgy as the afternoon progressed as their pockets got lighter, mixed in with the constant sound of people spitting. It was good time to go home!!! Westerners are seen as walking ATM machines in most of Asia so I didn’t want to tempt fate and stay to the finish.

So apart from 2 minor differences mostly it was the same same. Trainers, members area, owners, high rollers, battlers, stewards, drunks, winners, losers and of course has what every race course in the world has...... hard luck stories!!!!!!

www.albyadventures.com








Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The mounting enclosure!!The mounting enclosure!!
The mounting enclosure!!

Jockeys average age 8-10.. Discussing pre race tactics or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers???
the winning ticket???the winning ticket???
the winning ticket???

100000 Dong on the nose...(about $6)
The pre race parade!The pre race parade!
The pre race parade!

Little horse's, little jockey's!! Makes sense!!
The crowd is getting restless...The crowd is getting restless...
The crowd is getting restless...

Everbody is on the undefeated champion "Phi Hai Yen"
Last minute studyLast minute study
Last minute study

or is he reading the personals???
Here they come...go you good thing! Go!!!!Here they come...go you good thing! Go!!!!
Here they come...go you good thing! Go!!!!

It's been a wonderful race call by the announcer..If your Vietnamese that is!!!
Bugger!!! 4th place.. 100000  down the drain!Bugger!!! 4th place.. 100000  down the drain!
Bugger!!! 4th place.. 100000 down the drain!

Note the finish line phographer looking at something!!
This horse  thought i had a cube of sugar in my pocket!This horse  thought i had a cube of sugar in my pocket!
This horse thought i had a cube of sugar in my pocket!

A better photo would have been the expresion on my face when it happen...
Horse and jockey ok!Horse and jockey ok!
Horse and jockey ok!

But the kids has had his marbles confiscated for a month by the stewards..
Winners are grinners!Winners are grinners!
Winners are grinners!

My demands for a drug/alcohol test on the jockey fall on deaf ears.


5th May 2007

Keep up the good work Alby! Didnt know you had it in ya.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb