We'll Always Have Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
January 23rd 2007
Published: February 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day one...tackling Saigon & the astronomical number of motobikes speeding around the city. Talk about a serious rushhour! Adam & I hit up the War Memorial Museum, which I found rather hard to swallow. Filled with realities of the US/Vietnam War. Not very pleasant to experience from either point of view. The whole time I kept wondering what the hell we were doing & how incredibly difficult it would be to come back & see this as a vet. A very sobering afternoon for me. The afternoon/evening we walked the streets of Saigon, grabbed a drink at a rooftop bar & grabbed some fabulous Dalat wine & cheese from a street vendor. Two buck chuck has some serious competition!

Day two was a relaxing morning of dress tailoring and followed by a motorbike trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels an 1 1/2 outside of the city. I had a fabulous driver that talked the entire time yet still managed to keep at least one eye on the road! The tunnels are amazing. No way could a tall Westerner like me fit, but the Vietcong conducted nearly every daily activity in them. Cooking, cleaning, birthing, making weapons, etc. Unbelieveable! That night I found myself at the best street market ever! An eater's paradise if you will. Vendor after vendor was set up along the road with tables & chairs displaying fresh seafood dishes & other tasty treats. Adam & I settled for a random variety of entrees, my personal favorite to serving up of live prawns & them immediately dunking them in the boiling hot soup. Yum, Yum! After an amazing meal & quite a few 333's (Vietnamese beer) we made our way back to the hotel & a few bars along the way. One in particular that was home to the Vietnamese Pool Table Mafia. Talk about a freeze out of foreigners in the game.

Day three blurs into nothingness until the most important part & that is dinner. I met Mark the Aussie earlier that afternoon & convinced him to come to dinne with us for a grill your own charcoal extravaganza. Adam, Mark & I found an amazing place that served fresh garlic-flavored meat that you bbq'ed at your table & stuffed ourselves for the night. Absolutely amazing! I definitely indulged in the best food so far on my trip while in Saigon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



5th February 2007

love it!
Great idea this journal of urs my dear, we were all beginning 2 wonder if u had actually eloped with a fellow traveller and come back 2 the states with ur very own 'rainbow family' a la ms Jolie style ;) Glad 2 read and see ur having a fabulous time, it looks truly stunning, continue living the life and making ur own adventures. We're lookin forward to celebrating ur return...even if u may not b. The LB what a culture shock thats gonna b 4 little miss Indy Jones. Take care, Bec x x

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb