Day 1, Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
January 27th 2016
Published: January 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 1. The China Southern flight to Guangzhou was super everything. Super comfy, super films, super cheap, super efficient. It was a low moment when we realised the guy Sam had told off (run after) for trying to queue jump was actually in the seat next to her. For 11 ½ hours. Hopefully he thought she was just being English/helpful!

Then I partially sat on my kindle. Half the screen obliterated. Resorted to iPad.

Changed planes, the airport was freeeeeezing, and all the staff had their winter coats on. We checked out the price of water, and sure enough, the bottles in the cooler are 8 somethings and the ones on the shelf only 3. We weren't sure what the somethings were, but less than half the price (probably dollars).

Arriving in Saigon, we were very relieved that the always-dreaded visa process was easy and quick, as we'd printed off the N1 form and filled it in before we arrived. For people staying under 15 days (Gill!), you don't have to go to the landing visa desk at all, just go straight to the immigration desks. No form or anything.

ATM rejected both our cards, but I think we were asking for too much in one go as it worked fine in Bui Vien thismorning.

Got a Mai Linh taxi from the controller at the airport, 138,000dong, all was well. He tried to get us to pay the 10,0000 exit fee but we pretended we didn't understand.

When we got to the Seventy hotel, which I'd booked months ago ( triple room so 2 beds, city view, emailed at the weekend and gave our arrival time of 11.30pm, no problem, they replied) there was no room free! I was proper annoyed. They took us to the hotel next door and said breakfast would be at the Seventy and we would pay them for the 3 days. I checked the room on the third floor. It was ok but on the street side and sooooo noisy, all night. Sam slept, I didn't. This morning we packed up and went to the Seventy. The new room was going to be on the third floor at the front again, so just as moist, or no- window room right above reception. I said no to both, we would look elsewhere. They were OK about it but it just wastes so much time. Looked on booking.com, room at the back of the Graceful Saigon free, so booked it online and trotted over with our bags. It has changed since we were last here. There's an atm and a bag/shoe shop in the entrance now. Amazing what will fit into a 2 metre wide space! They were very very welcoming so we feel happy to have made the move, and the room is at the back on the 5th floor so we know it will be quiet. Breakfast options have improved too.

Dumped bags, bought water from Circle K and negotiated 2 motorbike taxis, 40,000 dong (such fun in a white-knuckle, arrive alive sort of way.....) each for a ride to the Riverside Renaissance. The fee for using the pool has gone up but it is so beautiful and relaxing here, with a breeze and great views. And very loud music with speakers all around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb