History is Written by the Victors


Advertisement
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
December 19th 2015
Published: December 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

There is a saying in French “L'histoire est écrite par les vainqueurs , et non par les vaincus,” History is written by the victors and not by the vanquished. The War Remnants Museum I was in high school and college during the height of American involvement in the Vietnam War. It was my classmates, my friends, who were being drafted. I watched the war unfold on the six o’clock news every n... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

the game room4the game room4
the game room4

I want this furniture....
pilot and fighter plane at the palacepilot and fighter plane at the palace
pilot and fighter plane at the palace

I managed to determine that this man was a pilot, but I'm not sure on which side he fought.



20th December 2015

I went to school in Dalat, Vietnam...
from 1956 to 1964 and experienced the war expanding from just the Viet Cong to include the Viet Minh. Our school was evacuated by the U.S. Air Force with several C-123's in 1965. I returned with my wife after college and served as acting design director for the U.S. Navy's design and construction office in Oct/Nov 1973, the year the peace treaty was signed. I was still in Thailand when Vietnam fell on 30 April 1975, and saw the many evacuees. I returned to Dalat with my son in 2009 and was graciously received by the Director of the school which was now a communist cadre training center for district and provincial officers. Pictures of Ho Chi Minh were in every room. It was wonderful to have access to the entire school and was able to show my son my dorm rooms and class rooms. in one class students called us in to sing a song. Then they sang a song. I learned that the Vietnamese do not hold grudges as we were welcomed by everyone we met. It's a wonderful country!
20th December 2015

Gracious people
I too have been struck by how gracious the Vietnamese people are. I've had a number of students want to practice their English with me.
20th December 2015

"But I still think war is stupid."
I couldn't agree with you more Karen. Such a stupid senseless waste of resources and lives... I found the War Remnants Museum very confronting too. And still, we keep feeding the monsters of war...
20th December 2015

War is stupid
If we took the money we spent on war, we could eradicate many - if not most - diseases, and still have enough money to go out for a beer.
21st December 2015

Death in Nam
I went to Vietnam to see where my brother spent his last year of life. I wanted to meet the people and see the country. Originally I intended to visit the town where I was told he died but after I got there I no longer wanted to do that- no need really. Lots of mixed feelings but incredibly resilient people. Gracious people as you say...and eager to share their stories. This is certainly not an easy subject to dissect.
21st December 2015

The death of your brother...
The Vietnam War - or the American War as the Vietnamese call it - made a huge lasting impression on a whole generation.

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb