War Remnants Museum


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
July 9th 2011
Published: July 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The war remnants museum is a must visit site. Yes, it's propagandist for sure, but then a war museum should be just that eh.

One poignant plaque says the following:
"To initiate a war of aggression is not only an international crime, it is the supreme international crime, differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evils of the whole."



When you think about the American war didn't really start in the 1960's ... the Americans were so heavily supporting the French to re-capture Vietnam after WW II that it's hard to separate the French war from the American one.

Agent orange and other chemicals were used indiscriminately in an attempt to defoliate the jungles. Birth defects still occur on a regular basis. The photos the museum showed were truly shocking. There were some living 2nd generational victims of this chemical warfare at the museum entrance.

The French brought the guillotine and tiger cages. The Americans brought in more tonnage of bombs than used in any other battle theatre. There were pictures of several massacres, including the My Lai massacre, and testimony from US Senator Bob Kerry on his personal war crimes.

It was sobering, and I'm glad I saw it from the Vietnamese perspective.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb