Cu Chi, cu chi cu.


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » Cu Chi
February 14th 2008
Published: February 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Back again to the journal and the second half of the post tonight which will cover the rest of this day. I really wish one of the other two bastards would write up an entry or two, but apparently as the computer and technical expert on this trip the job of journalist has fallen to myself. Not only in the form of this log of our trip but also today as both commentator and cameraman during our trip the the tunnels of Cu Chi.

Another complimentary meal at the Hotel's restaurant started the day off beautifully and it was with full stomachs that we descended to meet our driver whom we had hired for the day to take us to the tunnels and back. The trip was an eye opener and some good (hopefully) footage was captured on film during the return trip, as we passed through both city, paddy field, suburb and small town on our way out of Ho Chi Minh City and into the province of Cu Chi. For those that don't know about Cu Chi there is plenty of easily accessible information on the subject but a basic description is that it is a 250km series of tunnels from which the North Vietnamese soldiers fought during the war, having infiltrated into the heart of the South and even digging as close to 30km from the heart of Saigon where the American soldiers were busy running the war. It really is amazing to see and hear the history of the tunnels, even allowing for the exaggeration of the Communist propaganda slant (such as one of the information videos championing North Vietnamese heroes who won the 'American Killing Hero' medal).

There is much to see and do at the tunnels, highlights include a demonstration of the various types of spike traps used by the Vietnamese to kill enemy soldiers, the various huts, bunkers, tunnels and weapons used by the Vietnamese and of particular interest to us red blooded young men was the destroyed American tank wreck left sitting where it was destroyed by a landmine during the war, the craters left behind by bombs dropped from B52's and the opportunity to fire off a few rounds at the shooting range. A clip each was fired by Sam and I from the classic AK47 and then from an M60 Machine gun. At roughly $2AU a bullet it seems cheap, but it doesn't last long and it can mean upwards of $40 a clip for a few seconds of firing. The sound and feel of it is suitably impressive however and we felt it was quite worth it. For those who care, other firearms on offer were and M30, a Garand, a Carbine, AR15, M16 and a K63 (not so sure about the last one, but it was a K something).

After that was my harrowing time down the tunnels. Originally I had not planned on entering them at all, but after cracking out the camera and beginning my journalism job for the day we climbed down into a tunnel entrance where we conversed for a bit before I decided, looking at the lighting down the tunnel itself, that I'd take a quick peek. Game face on and camera out I squat-walked through the tunnel up until the lighting stopped and the tunnel became pitch black. Taking a short moment to go night-vision I begun hearing noises from the darkness up ahead. Getting slightly nervous I decided it was best to be heading back. Halfway back through the tunnel and disaster struck! A pushy tour guide leading a few tourists had entered the tunnel and had decided I was not going back the way I came and with fairly insistent instructions of 'No, no, no' and 'Go, go yes!' he ushered me at a distressingly brisk pace into the darkness and beyond. Now crawling on hands and knees I made the best time I could down the tunnel while still attempting to film my progress, no idea yet how that footage will turn out but I'm sure it'll amuse others and embarrass me greatly. Finally reaching an exit he ushered me up an awkward stair case and out, at which point I returned aboveground back to Paul and Sam who were surprised to see me come in from a completely different way to how I had gone out. Having experienced my first tunnel crawl I was actually quite tempted to go back in and a little further along. But the others were reluctant to enter the tunnels themselves and time was growing near to meeting our driver again so we were off to continue touring.

Later we returned to Saigon, taking some hopefully interesting footage of the drive back, and once again visited the Dan Sinh and Ben Tanh markets to pick up a few things we missed and wanted to get. After a short rest at the hotel to cool us off (we were literally dripping with sweat by now in the humid, tropical, 34 degree weather) we went out for dinner at a nearby restaurant which was... adequate and topped it off with a visit to the bar at the top of the Rex Hotel. A popular tourist spot, the Rex Hotel is somewhat famous for being the hangout for War Journalists during the Vietnam War. As such the prices were exorbitant and it was quite busy. That said the service was abysmal and the waiters and waitresses were equal parts vague and indignantly tolerant of your presence. A poor show considering the cost of the drinks they offered.

Finally it was back to the hotel and the writing of these last two entries. By now I'm sure my other two companions are fast asleep as we have an early rise tomorrow morning to take a flight to Pleiku where we will visit the family Paul has kept in contact with over the years who lives in a small village not far out of town. This leg of our trip promises to be interesting, bizarre and possibly completely freaking weird. I shall endeavour to continue this journal there, although time may be short and internet availability may be non-existant. So either you should hear from me again soon, or there will be no contact until late Sunday early Monday when we will arrive in Hoi An.

Those looking to have stuff tailor made for them should please email me their measurements and desires at bakaneko_kun@hotmail.com and place their orders. Any other orders or gift ideas for items of interest would also be well received.

Once again...

To Be Continued...

Your correspondent in the field:
-Benji

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb