Ho Chi Minh City


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » Cu Chi
November 22nd 2007
Published: December 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

00
DAYS 
00
HOURS 
00
MINS 
00
SECS

until our South to North of Nam trip is over 😞






First Sinh Cafe trip of probably many to come cos they are so cheap!!! Early morning starting off at the Sinh Cafe office where Mark and Bianca discovered the best croissants ever (apparently - I don't like them at the best of times!). We started off by dodging all the motorbikes in a very hectic ride on coach through town...that took about an hour or so until we got into skinny busy streets...but much better! We ended up stopping at a lacquer factory where they make these picture things. I was thinking it would be boring, mark was thinking it would be more than boring and bianca stayed on the bus. Happy to report though, that Mark and I were completely in love with a lot of the artwork they do. Making these amazing pics out of either little tiny specks of eggshells, or by cutting mother of pearl and putting it on these tiles and then putting lacquer over it. Sounds like I have no idea what I'm talking about, but they were pretty cool anyhow. Pieces were really expensive, we were eyeing off a three piece pic, but decided $1000 wasn't going to happen!

Next we stopped off at the Cao Dai Temple at Tay Ninh, and got to watch a daily mass. Caodaism is a combo of Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, native Vietnamese spirituatism, Christianity and Islam - WOW. Basically it is a vietnamese sect who are trying to find the ideal religion. Mass is held in this massive colourful temple with a massive crowd of different religious people, and there are different colour robes that the men wear to represent different leaders of each religion. Pretty confusing how it can all work and why they all have different colours if they are the one religion? I don't know. But it was interesting anyhow to get to see. I do like the colours of the temple though.

After lunch we finally got on the move to see the Cu Chi Tunnels - the Ben Dinh tunnels. I didn't know what to expect and wasn't sure whether I was going to pike on the tunnels or not. Walked through the complex and saw many different things, including tanks that were used, some bunker things, rooms where they would work and make machinery and a small hole in the ground which was where the Vietnamese used to pop up from to shoot the enemy. Boy was that hole small. Wasn't sure if I would quite fit, let alone get out. But after having to find some arm strength somewhere, I got out - barely escaping help from Mark. Found out that our guide wasn't the most quiet....we were at this small tunnel and he was telling us how not all westerners can go in because they are bigger, but the vietnamese would go in with their gear, guns and helmets and all and have to come out. Then a larger lady walked past, quite loudly...he says "ooooh her...she can not" (whilst pointing), I didn't mean it, but kind of slapped him on the arm and told him that he can't say things like that. Funny nonetheless, not his comment...but the way he just blurted it alllll out!

Finally getting to the entrance of the tunnels we had a choice of either going 30m, then coming out, 60m or the full 100m. I ummed and arghed and finally decided to go through the 30m section only. following a japanese couple with a torch. Oh...and making sure there were not many people in front who would stop and cause me to be stuck in there. They are soooo damn tiny...and this part of the tunnel system has been expanded since they were in use!!! We had to crawl through them - they are about 80cm wide and 1.2 metres high only. Can't say I loved the experience...claustrophobic panic attack girl here thought that we had missed the exit for the 30 metre section and though I was committed to going another 30 metres. So, I started to get a bit weird and mark had to tell me to relax. I managed to crawl faster, and thankfully after dipping down further underground and going around the next corner the light appeared. yay. never have i been so happy than that moment haha.

Next exciting part - Bianca and I fired an AK-47 and Mark fired an M-16!! We asked for ear muffs because it was so loud...but they barely had padding on it...so they just made us look stupid more than anything. I learnt that they are very powerful things and I have no aim....nor can i squint my left eye closed. Endless taunts from Bunka and Mark ever since...let's hope those photos don't surface...Stew - you would say "you're a smoo" :p

In the evening we had another easy dinner then headed off to the markets, and then the Guns and Roses bar!!! this place is coooool! pics of the guys up all over the place with an awesome one of Axl near the bar. Very cool idea.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb