Vietnam...so far...


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast
June 29th 2008
Published: June 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So the last 2 1/2 weeks have flown by and I haven't written a thing! So here is what Becky and I got up to for our last few weeks together.

We got to Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon) on Jun 13 and got settled into a bit of a roach motel or sorts (ugh...black mold and ants...gross) but we only stayed 2 nights so it was ok. We met up with Barbara an American we had met in Singapore who works for the US conselate in Ho Chi Minh and we went out for dinner and drinks...we actually got dressed up and went out like normal people...not grubby travellers! It was great and she was a great girl. She is moving to Toronto shortly because her stint in Vietnam is done so her next posting is in Canada which is cool.

In Ho Chi Minh we went to the Cu Chi Tunnels which was an underground city of sorts that the Vietnamese built during the Vietnam War to hide from the Americans. they hid themselves in underground bunkers and had an intricate system of tunnels that was so ingenious. There were booby traps too to capture soldiers who were getting close to them. It was very interesting! We also saw the War Remnants Museam which was really hard to see to horrendous pictures. So after the killing fields, the tunnels, and the war museam we were really drained from all the negativity.

We headed up the coast on an overnight bus (had beds on it...kinda cool other than the incessant honking and bobbing and weaving that made it hard to sleep) to Nha Trang which is on the coast. We were going to go scuba diving there but decided against it and instead went on a boat tour where we met some more great people from England...seriously have met so many great Brits! So we only stayed 2 nights in Nha Trang and then onwards to Hoi An!

Hoi An...wow! Did we ever drop some money there. The specialty is custom made clothes...seriously you can have ANYTHING! Just show a picture, pick your material, get measured, and come back the next day for a fitting and if it isn't right they will fix it! We got wool winter coats custom made for like $35, a silk blouse for $17, dresses, shorts, tops, shoes! I then made a trip to the post office and shipped a large box home! Hopefully it makes it! So we shopped a lot there and spent 4 nights there and our hotelhad a pool which was nice because it was stinking hot! It was hard to try on wool coats when sweat is dripping off you...so next time we go...an there will be a next time...it will be in the winter!

We then headed onwards to Hue for a night and it was so so hot and humid there. We went on a city tour which was good as well and met again, more girls from England! We are destined to go to England I think...we now have so many different people to visit and places to stay!
We only stayed the one night and then on to Hanoi.

We arrived in Hanoi and then booked a 2 day trip out to Ha Long Bay. We had heard that it was storming pretty badly up north, but we were lucky on our 2 days on the boat as we only had rain at night. We definately worked on our tans and met some great people as well. We have been back in Hanoi now for 2 days and saw a few sights and shows. We went to the Water Puppets which was really cool and then last night got cultured and went to the Symphony which was a nice way to end Becky and I's trip together. I go to meet my volunteer coordinator later today and then go out to the Orphanage where I will be for 2 weeks then back to Hanoi for 2 weeks at the children's hospital. So it is sad to say g-bye to becky today and will be strange not to see her everyday since we have spent almost 3 months together. Wow time flies!

Well I have to go pack up and then check out of the hotel. I will have a lot to write about during the volunteering as long as there is internet.

until next time....
Carla

Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb