American Killer Heroes


Advertisement
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast
February 19th 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A Note From the Author Don’t mention the war. That’s the only rule I gave myself for blogs from Vietnam. It’s just too easy a subject. When you say the word “Vietnam” to most people the first thing that pops into their head is the war. But as with all my other blogs I want to take you on a journey of discovery behind the clichés, to tell you about the country of Vietnam - the people, th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Welcome to Tie-Land! (Hoi An)Welcome to Tie-Land! (Hoi An)
Welcome to Tie-Land! (Hoi An)

I didn't expect to here those words for another month or so yet.
Shopping Stress, Hoi AnShopping Stress, Hoi An
Shopping Stress, Hoi An

Someone's having a bad day. She left the house still wearing her pyjama's; she picked up the wrong bag at the superstore and to top things off, her lampshade doesn't fit.
Cool is not the word.Cool is not the word.
Cool is not the word.

Who is that hunk-a-chunk-a-love modelling that original first off the production line "Occasionally Bob" shirt? Yes, whoever he is, he's a dish alright. But get your minds off that just now and remember to put in your orders for official "Occasionally Bob" merchandise before the Christmas rush. OB branded underpants, tent-peg mallets and spokey-dokeys are just some of the products that will soon be available at the new website - www.occasionallybob.com - later this year.
Chuc Mung Nam Moi...Chuc Mung Nam Moi...
Chuc Mung Nam Moi...

...or "Happy New Year". During the Tet festival (the start of the new lunar year) people clammer to get their hands on a Kumquat tree. The equivalent of a Christmas tree, but with meaning, the fruit tree represents the start of a fruitful and therefore prosperous New Year. Unfortunately, as few Vietnamese have cars, this results in massive numbers of tree-scooter related driving accidents.
Bob in WonderlandBob in Wonderland
Bob in Wonderland

Crazy House, Dalat
Where's Wally?Where's Wally?
Where's Wally?

Vik in a window, Crazy House, Dalat.
"Is my hair on fire?""Is my hair on fire?"
"Is my hair on fire?"

On New Years Eve (Tet - 17th February), the celebrations included an explosives display that sent burning embers showering over the crowd. I say explosives rather than fireworks because my understanding is that fireworks are designed to explode at an altitude of greater than 8ft off the ground. A little girl, close to tears, held onto Viks left leg in fear as we were coated in ash and embers. I held onto Viks right leg. The massive crowd surged as everybody ran for cover. So did Vik - with me and a small Vietnamese child attatched. Chuc Mung Nam Moi.
"Gee, your car smells nice""Gee, your car smells nice"
"Gee, your car smells nice"

My limited understanding of the Tet festivities is that incense sticks are burnt to remember deceased relatives. Why then do some people stick burning incense sticks into their car doors like this guy has? My only guess is perhaps that while reversing out of their drive in a hurry - perhaps on their way to the airport for a family holiday - nobody noticed that Grandpa was still waiting to have his wheelchair put in the boot. Poor Grandpa. Nevermind, the fruit and flowers on the table are also for him to taste in... wherever he is now.
Crazy RestaurantCrazy Restaurant
Crazy Restaurant

The architect who came up with the Crazy House also had a go at decorating the "101 Rooftops - Over the Moon" cafe. Its so chaotic they served up a length of wire in Viks Spaghetti. The smoothies are good though.
Dragon & 5 Storey PagodaDragon & 5 Storey Pagoda
Dragon & 5 Storey Pagoda

Of course we went to the top of the Pagoda where I sat like a Buddha and was laughed at by Vietnamese tourists.
Monk & Neon Buddha, Dragon Temple, Near DalatMonk & Neon Buddha, Dragon Temple, Near Dalat
Monk & Neon Buddha, Dragon Temple, Near Dalat

Every religion should utilise neon. Nothing says "worship here" like a big neon target/halo thingy. The monk infront of the Buddha is chanting away into his microphone.
Bob & EasyriderBob & Easyrider
Bob & Easyrider

This is Buddha. He was our guide for the day. His overused motto is "don't worry - be happy". The tour was excellent but included some bizarre stops. My favourite of these was making us walk through a forest telling us that it would be romantic and we might see monkeys. Sounds great in principle, but what he failed to mention was that the forest had just been burnt by fires and was infact still alight in patches. If there were any monkeys they were very black and crisp.
Vik and the Bob-coastersVik and the Bob-coasters
Vik and the Bob-coasters

This is Vik sliding down a hill on a Bob-coaster. This was the highlight of her Easyriders tour of the area surrounding Dalat. Look at the excitement on her face...
Posh building, SaigonPosh building, Saigon
Posh building, Saigon

Not quite sure what this place was, but it had signs outside it saying "No photographs"...
Old Uncle Ho at the Post OfficeOld Uncle Ho at the Post Office
Old Uncle Ho at the Post Office

The best building in Saigon. Great place - a few too many tourists though. Coach parties stop here just to see it. Makes getting some stamps difficult.
"Ave Maria", Ho Chi Minh city Cathederal"Ave Maria", Ho Chi Minh city Cathederal
"Ave Maria", Ho Chi Minh city Cathederal

Anything the Buddhists can do - so can the Christians. Jesus, I am loving that neon halo.
Hindu Temple, Ho Chi Minh CityHindu Temple, Ho Chi Minh City
Hindu Temple, Ho Chi Minh City

Very colourful and full of incense. Bright colours and strong smells. Like a cross between Legoland and Lush.
Sleeping at the wheelSleeping at the wheel
Sleeping at the wheel

In Japan people slept by the side of the roads in their Honda's. In Vietnam they sleep by the sides of the roads ON their Honda's.



27th February 2007

Another winner
I just updated my blog today but I must say it's yours I look forward to reading. Keep doing your thing kids. I'm missing it but I'm glad I can relive it through you!
27th February 2007

Shirt
May we be your first customers please. We too would like an OB shirt and 3 spokey dokeys! Did Vik's bespoke flipflops not deserve a picture? Yet again you have excelled yourself - great blog! Po is planning to wear a neon halo from now on.
28th February 2007

OB Pants
I'll take ten pairs of the Occasionaly Bob Underpants please, in tartan if you could!
2nd March 2007

Glad you are having a great time but we are missing u heaps. Vikki - R there snickers bars there??????

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb