Hoi An - Day 4 (Cooking Class)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
January 9th 2017
Published: January 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

This morning we thought we got up early but realised that Brad's watch was wrong, luckily we still had enough time for breakfast before our cooking class. I was feeling a bit crook in the stomach so cooking wasn't really what i felt like doing this morning but it was already booked in.

We went downstairs to the lobby at 10.15 and the chef introduced himself, his name was Bau. Eventually the other couple who were joining us turned up. They were Aussies as well (Cal and Lauren from Victoria) We got on really well with them straight away. Then Bau took us to the markets, these were not far from the hotel but in an area none of us knew was there, these are the markets that the locals go to. It was definitely a different experience. Beau explained that the locals come here everyday and but their produce fresh. There was everything from fruit and veg to meat, fish and frogs. We watch a lady gut an eel which was lovely (sarcasm in case you didn't pick that up).

We then walked back to the hotel and were given some brown aprons to put on and some orange caps. First up we made fresh spring rolls with pork and prawns with a delicious noodle and peanut salad. We sat down together to eat that and then it was a chicken dish for the main. We decided that the girls would share ours and we would make it with no chilli as Lauren doesn't like chilli and I can't eat it and the boys made theirs with extra chilli and Bau had to go out the back to get a hotter chilli. The food was delicious, though the boys did continue to feel the burn of the chilli for some time afterwards, they didn't really care as they were washing it down with more cold beer anyway.

The four of us then went back into the old town (just a few minutes away from our hotel) and did some more shopping. We learnt a tip or two from Cal on the bartering as he was a lot better at it than us. We then all stopped for a coffee before heading back to the hotel for massages.

Our massages today weren't anywhere near as good, we were in a room together this time; Brad had a guy and I had the girl that Brad had last time. It was an aromatherapy massage this time (they must do a didn't type each day) and it was nice but nothing special. We didn't bother with the steam room this time as we had to get back into town to have fittings for our clothes that we had ordered and our shoes.

We went to the tailor first and I tried on my dresses and mine still needs lots of adjustments. I also had a cape made and I loved that. Brad tried on his suit and it looked great but they just needed to make a couple of minor adjustments. We will come back tomorrow to pick them up. Our friend Bing (remember the stalker lady who lead us here in the first place), she gave me a beautiful scarf and Brad a tie as a thank you for coming to her shop.

We then went to our shoe lady and tried on our shoes and I could not love this pair of shoes more, they turned out perfectly. My boots need to be taken in some more but she will get that done and Brad's shoes look great and he looked his leather jacket. Just a few more alterations and we can pick them up tomorrow.

We then wandered the town and back up to the night markets. Brad was starting to get annoyed at some of the tactics they use and got really annoyed with one guy who was at the last stall of the markets. He started off being really funny and saying stuff like "no bullshit at my store mate' which sounds funny when a Vietnames guy is saying it and had lots of jokes etc but when it came down to it, he wanted to charge us $150 US for a few little trinkets. That really pissed Brad off and eventually he came down to a fraction of the price but by then we weren't interested in buying from him and they then followed us down the street trying to negotiate with us, that only annoys Brad even more and makes him adamant that he won't buy from them. After some more shopping, including purchasing an extra suitcase, we then went back to the hotel and caught up with a Kiwi couple that we'd chatted to a few times. We sat down and had dinner and drinks with them and chatted till it was late and they were closing the bar so off to bed we went.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb