Hoi An weekend - late arrival and shopping til dropping


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
February 22nd 2013
Published: February 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Handy hint - if you are flying with a domestic airline, keep your boarding card stub as they check them against your luggage on the way out in case you are making off with someone else's coolbox of squid!

Weekend off to a rubbish start. Got back to Bui Vien, repacked, went to change money and just happened to check my email to find that the flight had been changed at the last minute from 21.20 to 02.35 am, and we were about to set off for the airport. So basically this meant missing a night's sleep and wasting our hotel rooms, and arriving around 5am. Apparently Jetstar are notorious for this, so beware booking if you are only planning on a short break. So hung around at Beth's hotel (me being homeless temporarily) and out for dinner with her colleagues to kill time. We had a really good time, which we would have otherwise missed out on - went to a bar/restaurant called Elbow Room, and there was live music (v good) and Steph, one of Beth's colleagues sang with the band. She was great! Wine at western prices, but made a change fro Green Saigon beer.

Then back to get our stuff, taxi to airport and a very long wait as the plane was delayed even more. Everyone says (now they tell us!!!), don't go with Jetstar as they are notorious for cancelling flights if there are not enough bookings. We stretched out on the seats and slpet for a bit, but a TV was on v v loud with a crappy American film so it was difficult. WE finally took off at 3.20am, arrived at Da Nang and could have kissed our baby-faced driver. Until he started driving, that is. A few scooters about even at that hour, many with no lights at all. Got to hotel - 4 star for a nice change (Hoi An Pacific) - in bed at 5.30 for a few hours of melatonin-induced sleep (thanks, P!!) as breakfast finished at 10. That is after I falied to find the controls for the lights so had to pull out the key card and therefore do without aircon. It was a bit toasty by the morning! Also managed to lock the safe (nothing in it - best do a trial run) and caouldn't open it again. In the morning, opened the window and shutters to find the worst view in the world - see pic. That's what you get for booking with agoda.....

Taxi into town - too far to walk and not interesting - and then we shopped. And how we, or rather I, shopped! I was going to have stuff made. No problem with leaving tomorrow, they would have it ready to try the same night - but actually there was plenty ready-made. Lovely things, and so cheap, and in big western sizes. We went to a recommended silver jewellery shop and are having necklaces made with our Chinese animal signs on them. Not keen to go round with an actual pig on a chain! Will pick them up in the morning. Then had feet measured (drawn round on a piece of paper - a bit tickly), and 2 pairs of sandals will be delivered to the hotel tonight by 9pm, £11 a pair. Have come back to the hotel now as were flagging from lack of sleep. It is a bit pushy here, as it's full of tourists - boat trip, fruit sellers, come into my shop etc, but in a nice friendly way, so just have to smile and say no thank you and walk on. It is dull and overcast, with a bit of rain today, so no point going to the beach.

Tonight is the monthly Full Moon festival - looking forward to it - more in next blog.

Thoughts still of home and friends having the worst possible, unbelievable time. Sending much love, and to my family, as always.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



23rd February 2013

Full Moon
Enjoy the festival - and try not to howl at the moon too much ;-) xx
23rd February 2013

Txt and photos won't send!
Is email OK?xx

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb