Knit & Natter in Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
April 18th 2011
Published: April 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Knit & Natter Club in ActionKnit & Natter Club in ActionKnit & Natter Club in Action

There was a lovely atmosphere at our first Knit and Natter Club. The group is made up of a mixture of Vietnamese and Westerners and we were all concentrating hard on our knitting.

Knit & Natter Club in Hoi An



Each Saturday Morning we hold a knitting club at the Lifestart Foundation workshop on 77 Phan Chu Trinh Street in Hoi An between 10am and 11am. We would love to invite you to join us.

The idea stemmed from a desire to pass on the superb knitting skills of Miss Luong, one of the founding members of the workshop. It would be an opportunity for the Vietnamese staff and other makers to learn how to knit but we also thought it would be an excellent chance for ex pats in the Hoi An community and travelers and tourists passing through to join in, learn a new skill and attend a regular social occasion.

The first session was on Saturday 9th April. We had ten Vietnamese people including some of our staff and workshop members as well as five Westerners ranging in age from 13 to 54. Inevitably the locals seemed to pick up the skill much more quickly than us. There had been sleepless nights by a few of us worrying about the exacting standards of Miss Luong. We were right to be concerned! If our casting on wasn't up to standard we were asked to re do it. She is an excellent teacher however and by the end of the hour's session, we had all cast on and knitted several rows. The goal is to knit enough squares to be able to create a blanket for the children's ward at Da Nang hospital. The desire to complete this project, however long it takes is very strong within the group.

So if you happen to be in Hoi An on a Saturday morning 10 am to 11am and have a longing to knit, come and join us. We would be delighted to welcome you to our Knit and Natter Club. A map of the location of the Lifestart Foundation Workshop is available on our website.

If you happen to have some 8 ply wool and size 5 needles bring them along; if not we can help out.

Best Wishes from Ruth
Guest Blogger and Lifestart Foundation Volunteer (aka the LSF Education Program Co-ordinator )
www.lifestartfoundation.org.au

Enjoying the blogs?? Forward them on or subscribe those who you think would be interested in Lifestart Foundations work.......its free!





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Karen being taught how to cast on by Phuong. Karen being taught how to cast on by Phuong.
Karen being taught how to cast on by Phuong.

The concentration on Karen's face says it all!!


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb