Meet Phuc


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
March 31st 2006
Published: March 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Boat KidsBoat KidsBoat Kids

Hanging out with Phuc's little brother and sister
Phuc (pronounced "fup") is 13 years old. He is smart as a whip and speaks english well,"what’s up love?" I believe were his first words to me. Phuc supports his family of 7 by working both days and nights on the streets selling postcards from a plastic bag. Mom, Dad, 1 brother, 2 sisters and grandmom all live on the boat, which consists of a few rotting bamboo mats for a roof to help cover from the rain.

Today I met Phuc's cousin, Bich. Bich is 22 with an 18 month old daughter. She is from another village outside of Hoi An and came here for work when the father left the baby. She has borrowed a boat to live on, but has nothing. And when I mean nothing, I mean nothing. She works 7AM to 9PM at one of the tourists restaurants and makes 200,000d per month. I do the conversion when Karen tells me, are you sure that's right? YUP... $12.50 per month. Phuc told Karen yesterday about the situation and Karen met with her today to provide her with essentials such as blankets, pillows a rice cooker, light, mosquito net for the baby and 5 fishing nets.
We see you!We see you!We see you!

Phuc's little brother flagging us down to come visit. There are 7 people living on that boat.


Bich can not own any land because she is not from Hoi An, but a surrounding village. I am told that the government rule is if you are not from Hoi An, or if you have more than 2 children, you are considered non-existent, hence the boat people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

Phuc shows us the kitchen, under one of the floor planks.
Karen & BichKaren & Bich
Karen & Bich

Karen sends Phuc to the store to buy Bich some supplies (Phuc will get a better discount then a foreigner). Karen writes everything down for her records.
HomeHome
Home

Karen (meaning her organization "Lifestart") buys the boat for Bich and her daughter


31st March 2006

stunning
squirl i am absolutely stunned beyond belief...not so much about these people and their situations which is in and of itself stunning, but more because it is THE INTERSECTION where your deepest passion and the worlds greatest hunger lies...which means YOU ARE DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING. How many people can put that one on their Life Resume???!!!
2nd April 2006

Although I enjoy your journal entries immensely, they make my heart ache at times. We are such a fortunate nation... most of us never give it a second thought. I am glad you met up with Karen...what a beautiful person she must be to know. Take care, Sherry and stay safe. Love you, Aunt Ronnie
2nd April 2006

Touched
I am really touched by this journal. How sad that these boat people can never get clean the way we do, or know what it's like to have a comfortable bed and pillow under their heads at night. What an existence....or as their govt. says.....non existence. The way we live in America, every day should be Thanksgiving. You may have "special" hair as one person put it, but you and Karen are truly very special people!
4th April 2006

G'day from Sydney
Was really interesting to see your beautiful photos. We are friends of karen's and sponsor a family through Lifestart (thanks Karen for giving us the opportunity). We are coming to Hoi An Easter Monday and your pics have truly whetted our appetite for the journey ahead. I agree with your uncle - we in Australia also live a truly fortunate life and it behoves us to share that bounty with others less fortunate. Enjoy the journey!
6th April 2006

Feeling very fortunate
Hey Sherry, Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your journals and admire what you are doing. You are truly an amazing person. Reading this journal made me realize how lucky I am and also made me extremely sad to think how those children have to live. I will think twice next time I complain about not having enough money to buy the things I want, traffic, blemishes on my face, work, etc.... Be safe(:

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 17; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb