So laid back - we’re nearly horizontal


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
February 4th 2010
Published: February 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Hoi An started well - just laying in bed relaxing ... I felt quite decadent staying in bed after 9.00! Still, we could hear the lady on the tannoys that are on every street corner who blares out most of the day giving updates on history so we are told, another explanation is that she’s giving traffic reports (although as I type this, she is singing), and the various traffic sounds: the rubbish van that plays a merry tune, the police car that plays a different merry tune (John says one of them was playing ‘happy birthday’!), the beeping of the horns, etc ... none of this is conducive to sleeping late!!!

I went to the dressmaker to check out my clothes - most are lovely, but there is one blouse that really hasn’t worked - luckily I didn’t have to pay for it, so still got each item for $11 each!

We wandered down to the river front for beer and lunch and then a few of us took a boat ride on the river - its lovely looking at the town from the river as you get a lovely perspective, the houses look
Rare Example of Bird LifeRare Example of Bird LifeRare Example of Bird Life

Note: We see a lot more butterflies here than birds!
so quaint and pretty. We saw one chap casting his fishing nets from his little boat, a duck farm, and a beautiful bird which we think is a kingfisher ... it was a gorgeous blue colour.

A stroll back to the hotel and a dip in the pool before trundling down to the bar to start the evening off. With any luck I might manage to beat Ross at crib ... he’s an ice cream ahead at the moment - but I do have the support of all the girls who work in the hotel, who keep hitting him if he beats me ... its almost worth the ice cream!!

We rounded off a wonderful stay in Hoi An by having a group meal in a restaurant in one of the old buildings - it really did have a wonderful atmosphere. John says it was the best Vietnamese food we’ve had ... although the service left a little to be desired - there doesn’t seem to be the concept of starters or mains here (although that’s how they appear on the menu), so food arrives erratically as they assume you’ll all be sharing anyway. Some of the others were still having tailors’ fittings, so were popping in and out through the evening. Rod had a suit made for $70 - and he had two pairs of trousers! Incredible!

Hoi An has a more Chinese feel to it, especially as everywhere is gearing up for New Year on 14 February. Lanterns adorn the streets and, since no-one has taken the Christmas decorations down yet, it’s looking very colourful. It also serves to highlight the many quaint temples, all of which have a very Chinese look, although their religion seems to be a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, and even a bit of Christianity for good measure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb