Day 37 Wednesday June 10, 2009


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
June 10th 2009
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 37 Wednesday June 10, 2009
Finally arrived in Hue at 8am and had to switch to another bus to take us on to Hoi An. There are usually two guys on the bus, the driver and the ticket taker. Most of the tourists have open ended tickets (a booklet of tickets to each destination) and the ticket taker on this bus was trying to take more tickets than needed to the next destination from a British couple in front of us. They got into an arguement and the ticket taker told us all to get off the bus and identify our luggage so he could throw out the British couple's bags...Jerks. Most of the people are nice here, but most of the men seem very pushy. Along the 4 hour bus trip we went through a huge tunnel. It is called the Hai Van Tunnel, the longest tunnel in Southeast Asia at 6.28km (3.925 miles), and is between the two cities of Danang and Huế in central Vietnam. We stayed two nights in the Thien Nga Hotel for $15/night. We rented a bicycle from them for $1.00/day and took our laundry 10,000 VND/kg ($3.38 US) to do all our laundry, at these prices I would never do laundry again=) Rode the bikes around the town and down to the beach and back, about 8-10 km round trip. The town is very quaint and very charming with nice architecture (lots of French influence), friendly people and much cleaner beaches than Cat Ba Island. Unfortunatley on the bus trip to here from the neighboring city they were building tons of resorts so I'm sure the quaintness will fade with time=( Had a beer at Treat's Cafe and met a guy from Buffalo, NY who has been away from home for 15 months. He spent about a year working in New Zealand and is backpacking around Southeast Asia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



16th June 2009

envious...
We will have to have a Shroom date when you guys get back and get settled so that you can have a show and tell...

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb