Vietnam Continued ...


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
December 6th 2008
Published: December 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here we are in Hoi An, Vietnam. Since the last blog we have travelled south to Hue and then further south to Hoi An. Tomorrow is spent on a train to Nha Trang.

After an overnight sleeper bus from Hanoi (surprisingly got a pretty good's sleep, despite having to sleep up the back of the bus next to three other people. And a midnight toilet stop we would like to never ever think about ever again - although the image of the toothless Vietnamese woman nodding encouragingly at me to squat on the open-air, partition-less concrete floor with a drain that was the bathroom will probably be hard to forget), we arrived in Hue. A small city, Hue was much more slower paced than the hectic, risk-your-life-crossing-the-street Hanoi.

We spent most of our time in Hue visiting the Citadel - the old remains of an imperial city that was built in 1804. This was where the Emperor's 'official functions' occured, and where he and his family lived. This place was awesome. The architecture, although much of it destroyed from the wars, was amazing to see. It's a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Since we've been in Hoi An, the weather has been wet and overcast, and there was even some minor flooding through some parts of the town near the river this afternoon. Despite the weather, it has been an awesome little town to visit. It's known for its hundreds of tailor shops, which makes for some dirt cheap tailor made shirts and ties. The Old Town is dotted with lots of little cafes and restaurants, and shops selling silk scarves and hand-made jewellery. This has been one of our favourites so far. The town is full of little narrow alley ways, and I guess it's one of those towns you'd say has 'character'.

Tonight we had a funny experience with a little girl selling wooden animal-shaped whistles along the river. She was absolutely adorable. We ended up giving her some Australian coins to keep, but we don't think she was very impressed.

Can't believe we're halfway through our trip already. Tomorrow we are off to Nha Trang, which is a beach town so hopefully the weather starts to look a bit brighter!

NOTE: I know there are always a lot of photos of me, and hardly any of Perry, but it must be understood that Perry is very snap-happy with our new camera.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

US Tank, HueUS Tank, Hue
US Tank, Hue

We stumbled across this park (read: jumped the fence) that was full of decaying US army tanks and machinary.
Hoi An cafeHoi An cafe
Hoi An cafe

One of the many little cafes we've been to since we've been here. Lots of character, great food.
Our friends Evette & JohnOur friends Evette & John
Our friends Evette & John

We met this American couple on our Halong Bay boat tour, and then ran into them twice in Hue, and then AGAIN in Hoi An. They're very cool.


7th December 2008

Time passing
Hey time is going very quickly ...hope the money is holding out...enjoy!!..Sorry I missed you online Loretta

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb