My Son (name of ruins - not sheila's illegitimate son)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
December 30th 2005
Published: December 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We went to the My Son ruins yesterday and boy were they ruined! It was pretty much a bunch of bricks haphazardly thrown about sixteen centuries ago. Thank god we have better construction these days! We met a soldier from the SVA (south vietnamese army turned tour guide who told us about the war). Later we had a sneak Viet Cong attack on Seth who is still really scared (we are trying to coax him out of his room)....

We got more cheap clothes made and Colin's shirt makes him looks like a spitting image of Mao Ze Dong.

Lates, Sheila and Sue

Advertisement



31st December 2005

SVA guy
The South Vietnamese Army guy told us several interesting stories. He decided to fight for the South while his brother fought for the Viet Cong. They would both call home to mom in order to relay warnings to each other not to be in certain places where attacks were to take place. His brother apparently didn't marry until after the war when he returned home a war hero. His home villagers lined up all the eligible women and gave him his pick. Apparently, "he chose the youngest one" and now they have seven children. The ruins were partially ruined by American artillery during the war -- the VC was operating down in the valley where the ruins are while the americans held the surrounding hills. The SVA guy learned english during the war and is now a freelance tour guide -- as he was telling us these stories he flicked his finished cigarette among the thousand year old ruins. Clearly the UNESCO world heritage site designation isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb