Delightful Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
September 27th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 10 - 11 Hoi An Central Vietnam

We had learnt of a good tailor from Paul and Rachael (nice English couple) and Kerri and I went off in search of them straight after breakfast. There are hundreds of tailors here so a recommendation made choice easier. We were given directions and it was still hard to find as Vietnamese map making skills are still developing. Measurements were taken for two suits $80 US each, two shirts $14 each, two dresses $35 each and two skirts $18 each. It took awhile so the owners took us on the back of motorbikes back to collect the boys from the hotel.

Bikes were our mode of transport for the day and we hired these from the front of the hotel. Traffic is relatively quite here so we managed to see most of the city sights (temples, assembly halls and quaint bridges). The streets are narrow and windy with great old buildings. A delightful place to be.

A free lunch was around the hotel pool, then we headed off again on the bikes mainly to see along the river front. Lot’s of color and sound. Interestingly smell is not prominent here as it is in many other Asian countries. We bought some colorful lanterns from a river front shop and then I took the boys back to the hotel on the bikes as they did not want to stay and drink “fresh” beer in the late afternoon with Kerri and I. We sat and enjoyed the 25 cents a glass beer in beautiful ambience watching this world go by.

After our huge lunch we literally snacked in a riverfront restaurant (with the boys again). At 8.30 the boys and I played tennis and it was hard work in the heat and humidity. Temperatures in Hoi An at the moment are min 31 to max 34.

Our next day started with an 8.30 pickup after a quick breakfast. The driver we had organised through the tailor and the car was flash for our 1 hour+ journey inland to My Son. 8th century temple and city ruins are set in a small jungle valley. We walked for two hours and it was fun. There was a dance included in the modest ticket price and it was very well executed (the girls were attractive as well). The city buildings are mainly in ruins thanks to looting and American bombings. On our way back to Hoi An late morning we stopped at a temple goods store and were helped by our driver to by a temple gong. It’s going to be fun signaling dinner at home.

Hoi An first stop was the tailors for our first fitting and the items and worked out really well. Consequently Kerri ordered two more dresses. Lunch of banana pancakes and smoothies at our now regular cafe near the market. Leaving Kerri at the hotel this time the boys and I headed off by taxi to the beach for a body surf. Today the bridge accessing the beach area was out for cars and motorbikes so the boys and I walked the last 1km. Our swim was great in beautifully warm water on a nice beach. Getting back proved more difficult. We eventually found a taxi after having used reception of a big hotel to help us. Kerri and I nipped out for our evening drinks then collected the boys again for dinner - same same as last night. This time our evening transport was cyclo’s with two of us per bike. Poor riders. This was much easier than walking the long distance in the evening heat to collect our clothes. The tailors Visa machine was mysteriously not working so we withdraw a few million from ATM’s in three transactions. Payment made we retired for the evening with the sound of a storm outside.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb