Time to catch you all up...


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
September 7th 2007
Published: September 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Hi all

Sorry I've been quiet for a while, basically been really busy and the internet was soooo frustrating in Vietnam! I'm now is Laos and have found a cafe with BROADBAND so taking advantage! I think I left off after 2 days at the beach in Nha Trange, at my favourite bar in the world, happy memories...

Anyway, we caught yet another night train to get to Hoi An. Hoi An is a world heritage listed site for it's old town which is an unusual (but pretty) combination of European, Japanese and Chinese architecture. Most of the buildings are 2 storey with wooden facades and hang chinese lanterns outside at night. We had 3 nights here and stayed at a lovely hotel with a pool. I spent some time visiting the museums/houses and the Japanese bridge (which when you get inside are actually just shops!), hired a bike and cycled to a nearby beach where I got burned through the clouds!

My Son
We went on a half day trip to the ruins of My Son, some of the buildings are 1200 years old and no-one knows how the stones used were held together, there looks to be no mortar of any kind! Unfortunately much of the temples were destroyed in the war with the US and there are bomb craters and bullet holes to prove it.

Festival
We were lucky enough to be in Hoi An for the 15th day of the lunar calendar which meant that there was a traditional festival. The old town was shut to motorbikes (bliss bliss blisss) and electric lights were swapped for lanterns and candles. There was traditional dancing and singing (imaging a cat being slowly strangled) on the streets, it was a great atmosphere!

Bike ride and bbq
We ended our time in Hoi An with a bike ride through the local countryside (it was sooooo hot!) to a boat where we took our bikes across to a small island with no name and had a bbq whilst watching the sunset, it was a great day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb