Middle of Vietnam but top of my list!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
March 8th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Japanese Covered BridgeJapanese Covered BridgeJapanese Covered Bridge

This is my favourite. On one side is a dog and on the other is a monkey (to indicate the year construction began and was completed)
Since leaving Singapore more than a month ago and 8 destinations later, Hoi An is the first place we've come across that is actually cool, in the meterological sense. You might not know this but Hoi An is the absolute last place you would want to visit for parties and crazy nightlife. Instead, it is the cultural core of Vietnam with tailors and artisans lining every street and dodgy alley. The people here are amazing as you can see from the pictures we've taken.. friendly and welcoming all the time.

Despite our short stay here, we managed to accomplish quite a bit.

We met up with our Norwegian friends for a day at the beach. Just when I thought that we would never get on a bicycle again after our tour de france at Angkor Wat, we cycled from our respective hotels to the beach which was a leisurely 4km away. Thankfully, the girls had sunscreen and the sky was cloudy so neither of our sunburns worsened. It was a lovely beach somewhat devoid of tourists (but full of touts!) and we had a great time in the icy cold water.

I have a confession to make. Usually
Chinese TempleChinese TempleChinese Temple

One of the few temples we checked out today. There's a statue of the Jade Emperor's mother inside this one.
I'm not crazy about shopping and the thought of splurging on a backpacking trip gives me a headache, so it came as a surprise to me when I went balistic at one of the many tailor shops. It was a nice little place tucked deep inside Central Market with a bevy of sweet talking girls (and aunties). At first I thought of getting a pair of pants (Mom will be happy to hear this) and perhaps a nice dress shirt. But after flipping through the thick catalogue, I ended up with THREE shirts and TWO pairs of pants (Mom will NOT be happy to hear this)! Also, seeing how cheap these TAILORED clothes were, I decided to get another shirt for my brother. Total cost was a bargain at US$90. It's alot of money, yes, but these clothes fit me like a glove and I couldn't be happier.. unless they tear to shreads when I put them in the washing machine of course! These tailors have wicked skills, they can make just about any garment out of any fabric you like. You HAVE to get something made if you ever come to Hoi An.

Also we spent this afternoon
Wooden CarvingsWooden CarvingsWooden Carvings

You can see part of the guy squatting on the floor hard at work carving wood. There are wooden sculptures of all sizes but detail that goes into each is incredible. Didn't ask the price because after buying all those clothes, the last thing I needed was to blow my cash on a block of wood!
sneaking around the attractions (Japanese Covered Bridge, temples, etc), and I say sneaking because there is a 75,000D (S$7.50) fee for a ticket to see them all. Lovely lovely places but I thought that they were kind of small to say the least! I enjoyed myself much more exploring the many antique shops.. don't miss out on the artisans carving wooden statues in their shops. How do they do that?!

Just an update, we'll be departing Hoi An tomorrow afternoon for Hanoi.

***And since we had so few pictures of Nha Trang, we're compensating by going overboard here in Hoi An!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Our favourite restaurantOur favourite restaurant
Our favourite restaurant

This place has great Cao Lao (thick noodles with pork), Fried Wontons, and White Rose (not Vietnamese rose! It's like the Shui Gao dumplings we get back home)
Larue BeerLarue Beer
Larue Beer

That's our lovely Norwegian spokesperson for Larue Beer! It's one of the best beers I've had on this trip. Tasty, mmmmm...
Happy like f*** (Part II)Happy like f*** (Part II)
Happy like f*** (Part II)

That's a very happy YL on the beach.
Our favourite restaurantOur favourite restaurant
Our favourite restaurant

Our lovely waitresses who for some strange reason, kept giggling at us.. on both days! And for the record, they think I'm funny and YL's handsome. *rolls eyes*
Opium PipesOpium Pipes
Opium Pipes

Beautiful, aren't they? The shopkeeper told me that they're made of buffalo bones. Really?
Art ShopArt Shop
Art Shop

One of the many art shops all over town
Our Tailor!Our Tailor!
Our Tailor!

Isn't she adorable? She is one TINY girl at 22 years old. Get this.. she weighs 35kg! Spent a lot of time and money at her shop


9th March 2007

Fwah! the dynamic duo strikes again in charming foreign chicas! ;)

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb