'Nam: Lost in transportation


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
September 7th 2006
Published: September 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vang Vieng is the party town of Laos. It is built on the bank of the mekong and is essentially just a massive tourist trap.
We arrived after a daunting 7hr drive around the mountains of Laos and that night did what was expected of us and 'got on it'.
VV is a dirty little town and we decided our stay there would be quite brief. The next morning feeling especially spaced out and hanging out of our arses we decided the best course of action was to rent out 4 massive inner tubes and float down the fast flowing mekong sans lifejackets. This was a thrilling combination of beers, rope-swings and chicks in bikinis which was right up our alley and pretty much what we signed up for. After escaping death in so many ways we swiftly got out of the town and hit the trail to Vietnam.

Our original intention was to stay in Laos capital Vientienne, but on arrival we decided it didn't look like it would offer us a lot other than temples which i think now we have officially sacked off. (being the culture vultures that we are.) After following a couple of idiotic american tourists around for an hour in a vain hope to find the bus station we stumbled accross the local station and purchased tickets for a 20hr trip to Hue, a town on the Vietnam's east coast. This would prove to be the worst decision we ever made...

The trip was horrific. After re-fuelling on a nutritious diet of strangely flavoured crisps and mouldy bread we settle down on the back seat and tried to get some sleep. This was nigh on impossible with the driver taking delight in sounding his massive horn non-sensically every 10seconds or so. We could put up with this to an extent, but when we were roused from semi-sleep by the driver in order for them to smuggle copius amounts of red-bull and cheap fridges accross the border we were slightly irked. Our annoyance was confirmed by the corruption and beaurocracy on the border where we were convinced we were going to get stitched up by our ethically dubious drivers for something.
After 2hrs of faffing about and back-handers our driver got back in and 7 arduous hours later dropped us off 20kms on the outskirts of the city.
After treating ourselves to a nice
CrampedCrampedCramped

Marsh would have been a terrible VC
room and slap up meal we got up the next day and took a tour around the DMZ (demilitarised zone) the highlight of which being a tour of the tunnels that the Vietcong used to live in. This was really cool but very cramped for Marsh, Adam and I (Danny was clearly fine). The rest of the tour was pretty dull really and was just looking out of the coach window at landscapes that 'used to be a warzone'; interesting at first but then gets tiresome after the umpteenth stop to take photos of piles of rocks.

Deciding that the cultural part of our tour was wearing thin we decide that the best course of action was to get to a westernised beach resort and settle on a tourist haven called Nha-Trang, where we are now (and for the foreseeable future).
The town itself is pretty grimey and there doesn't seem to be much to it other than the beach. This is fine by us and after a healthy dose of sunburn, beers and football games with local street kids we decide that the best part of travelling is most certainly not the travel.

We went out last
Paradise Found (sort of)Paradise Found (sort of)Paradise Found (sort of)

(Copyright: Sam Edwards)
night to a club far to nice for the likes of us which was pretty uneventful apart from the walk home when we were all individually acosted by LadyBoys who did the old tried and tested 'grope you and steal your money' manouvere on me. Luckily i hadn't taken my wallet with me so i think the only nicked about 30p (which if you think about it is a small price to pay for having your balls squeezed by a bloke. Cheaper than Nok's affections anyhow)

We've spent the day hungover and sunbathing which is a routine id imagine we'd stick to for a while....

Advertisement



7th September 2006

Experiences
Excellent blog again - tunnels are pretty amazing aren't they - see if you can get to see the system they have in Saigon, very impressive, as is the American WAR museum. You certainly are cramming in the life experiences - I've never had me bits felt by a bloke, even when I've offered 30p ! ! Keep having fun. Take Care Dad
7th September 2006

There he is!
Yes, Adam got a mention!
8th September 2006

The beach
Hi lads the beach looks the beast place to be relax and enjoy before your next adventures.Back here everyone eagerly awaits the next installment which shows how boring back at work is! Lots of love
8th September 2006

I'm so jealous!
Hi guys, sounds like your having an amazing time (Apart from the Lady boys bit) Hope your all well and safe. Oh yeah and Keep up the blogs Woody their one of my only sources of entertainment at the moment. Looking forward to you boys coming home, so that I've got some one to hang with. Mike
10th September 2006

keep thebacon sarnies burning
Enjoying all your blogs .. why are they blogs..missed your calling should do matches hatches and despatches on local rag..miss your fragrant presence but enjoying it all vicariously..quelle adventure mon brave..regards to your confederates..hang cool and safe..keep having fun

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb