Money Grubbing, Cultural Guffaws, and GI distress


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
March 13th 2006
Published: March 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

You must be this tall to enter this ride. You must be this tall to enter this ride. You must be this tall to enter this ride.

Young entrepeneurs lead sand dune rides, Mui Ne.
Long time no blog. Sorry, if you were upset. No problem if you weren't, and you're welcome if you were sick of all this self indulgent dribble. Speaking of self indulgent, (tangential thought) the other day we wrote a scathing email to CNN who showed a piece about how a woman in NYC is suing a hotel for 20 million USD b/c she got bites from bed bugs. She had "emotional distress" and "now hotels are no fun". After yelling at the TV (Jon's favorite pasttime) we decided to act on it. I will not include the text of the email but the phrase "self-indulgent litigious buffoon" was the center piece. Also a quick thank you for all the great responses to the last entry. Either we inadvertantly guilted you or the last entry was exceptional. Either way, thanks. Okay back to the entry.
We are now in Vietnam and having a nice time of it. We booked a tour which essentially means we have our transit and accomodation taken care of and then are primarily free. A rather large relief after three months of being unsure where we'll sleep next. At least we know who we will wake up next
Phu Quoc Beach ChairsPhu Quoc Beach ChairsPhu Quoc Beach Chairs

Jon didn't see this until the last day but just knowing it existed helped the healing process
to. A way to differentiate us from many of the people we meet.
Vietnam can be summed up with this blog's title. Firstly "money grubbing". Asia has a reputation of being filled with touts and people trying to rip you off. No where is this more obvious than Vietnam. While many people are honestly trying to make an honest living, you get the sense that you are always getting the "whiteman price" or are annoyed when the perfect English spoken when you order food or check-in mysteriously disappears upon the first hint of dissatisfaction or dispute over price. Funny how that happens. On the upside, we aren't really talking about a lot of money and, given the relative poverty of the world, who can blame them.
Cultural guffaws and misunderstandings are commonplace when traveling. There have been so many that it is impossible to relate them all, but I will try. Just kidding. Here is a recent one that we had to laugh at, sort-of. While having dinner the other nite in Dalat (beautiful central mountain town) the waitress asked Aneta if she was pregnant. She isn't, nor does she look it. Turns out that in Vietnam the tunic shirt that is all the travel-wear rage is actually local maternity wear. Oooops. So that shirt is on hiatus until we get out of Vietnam. Goes to show, you never can tell.
Finally, GI distress. Another strange thing about traveling is that everyone seems to think that sharing their intestinal troubles with complete strangers is, well, okay and even expected. As an earlier email had relayed, we have been well for over 3 months. UNTIL! We arrived in Vietnam and immediately headed to Phu Quoc. Beautiful, secluded island, famous for white sand, black pepper, and fish sauce (so stinky it's banned from carry-on to Vietnam Airlines). Day 2 we both awake to very bad "issues". The good news is that if you have to choose a place to be sick in Asia, this is it. Gaze out from bed and look at the blue water. Helpful fellow traveler (nurse from Austria) with a box of meds and the bourgeous (sp?) fantasy of outdoor attached bathroom made the whole experience quite manageable. All is well now. But we obviously spoke too soon with the earlier entry.
We continue to head north stopping along the way for fresh blue crabs pulled
South China Sea-breezeSouth China Sea-breezeSouth China Sea-breeze

Boat trips out of Nha Trang involve a floating bar. Safety equipment included.
from the South China Sea and scallops at $1 per kilo. Buses, trains, planes, and occasionally the back of a motorscooter carry us closer to home. Quick update for those of you in US of A. NYC during the last weekend in April, ATL in first week of May, and then it looks like we'll schedule the wrap party for this whole adventure in the Big Easy for Jazzfest. See you there!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Whistle BlowersWhistle Blowers
Whistle Blowers

Hoi An is famous for its ceramics. And these ladies sell the best animal whistles around.
Which way do we go?Which way do we go?
Which way do we go?

Mui Ne sand dunes encourage the artist in all of us.
Built for TwoBuilt for Two
Built for Two

Hammocks abound at Mango Bay, Phu Quoc
Domestic GoddessDomestic Goddess
Domestic Goddess

Aneta made use of the outdoor bathroom to tend to some much needed dirty laundry.
CelebritiesCelebrities
Celebrities

Apparently we are famous, because everyone wants a picture with us. Who knew?
Produce PurchaseProduce Purchase
Produce Purchase

Fresh fruit is everywhere in the market. And so are friendly faces.
Sooooo SeriousSooooo Serious
Sooooo Serious

Jon stops for a break while following the fairy spring to its source.
'Nuff Said'Nuff Said
'Nuff Said

In a country where the currency is named the Dong, some jokes never get old. This is the ferry to Phu Quoc.


19th March 2006

Local Celebs
Hello local celebrities...Iam not at all surprised that others want pics with you...how is it possible that you can look fresh as a daisy just about anywhere. Very impressive Aneta. Trev wants to know if Jon has shaved since you left? Iam still cracking up over the SuperDong. BTW...that was a great entry...very well written and to the point. Very entertaining ...thank you!! MIss you both tons.
19th March 2006

hahaha-hoohoohoo
yelling at the t.v., heheheheh "superdong"!! (hehehehehehehhehe!!!)
19th March 2006

World-weary or world-wise?
I am sooo envious looking at the pictures and reading the blog. This must be changing some perspectives for you. Talk about the Big Picture! I suppose, on your return you'll be looking at south-asian people in US like they are your home buddies... Particular thanks for the quality of the photos - beautiful!
19th March 2006

Superdong's revenge
WHen traveling in Vietnam and geting the runs, it can't be Montezuma's revenge...is it Superdong's revenge?? Maybe you should go back to the darker dirty look so people won't take advantage of whitey. THey won't think you're Asian, but perhaps you can pass for Puerto Rican. See you in NYC...
22nd March 2006

World Travelers
Looks like you are having a great time. I especially like the swim-up bar with saftey equipment. SuperDong hmmmm...reminds me of "Oh no more yangy my wanky, the Donger need food" Have a great time.
28th March 2006

hi from vietnam
hi jon and aneta, great blog. thought i'd check it out on our last day in vietnam. we leave tonight for amsterdam. am a bit asia'd out after more than three months here, but am so, so glad we came. we all really enjoyed meeting you in hoi an, and hope we can keep in touch. enjoy the rest of your travelers. we'll keep checking in. if you feel like looking at our blog, it is saraathena.blogspot.com. Safe travels. Shalom, Namaste and peace. Have a great Passover, and don't forget to email us if you'll be there for Ariel's Bat-Mitzvah. Rachel, Chris, Ariel and Talia

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb