Karaoke, the Crazy House and Nha Trang


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
November 23rd 2009
Published: November 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos


Room with a viewRoom with a viewRoom with a view

Milla and the view from our hotel in Dalat
We all really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and cool climate of Dalat. While we were loving getting around in t-shirts in 20 degrees, the locals were breaking out the winter gear including beanies, mittens, scarves and down jackets. Our hotel was appropriately named the 'Dreams' hotel and was pretty much the perfect hotel. Beautiful rooms, spotlessly clean and with an owner who would quietly do anything for you. Taxis would materialise out of nowwhere, bus timetables were recited from memory and tickets booked with a phone call, with the added bonus that you just new she was quietly insisting we be properly looked after by whomsoever she was speaking with. The breakfast every morning was a fully certified banquet.

Spent a great morning at the aptly named Crazy House. Although it was conceived by the architect as a 'response to the alienation of man from nature', to the kids it was basically one huge cubby house. There were rooms with giant animal statues lurking in the corners, limestone grottos, precarious walkways and animals emerging from the very structure of the building. Not a strait line or right angle to be seen. The kids had a ball exploring every (rounded)
Crazy HouseCrazy HouseCrazy House

Yes that is a bridge, no it's not safe, yes the kids were all over it like ants.
corner of the place.

In the afternoon we took a taxi out to visit a pagoda and temple 10 km out of Dalat. It houses Vietnam's largest bell (8 tonnes) and the faithful (or hopeful) come in droves to stick a prayer to the bell on what really amounts to a holy post-it note. The idea being that when the bell is sounded the prayer will be whisked off to wherever it is that prayers are supposed to go.

A shortage of change in my wallet meant that the bell guardian got a much bigger tip than average from us and so it was bell ringing for all. Milla and I sent a few prayers heavenwards. Mine was something to do with surviving the kamekaze taxi ride back to the hotel.

The hotel owner had an 11 month old grand-daughter called Cherry and Jude would often ask the lady "where's Cherry". She was very taken with Jude and suggested that Cherry could come and visit Jude in Australia when she is older.

Jude is also concerned about Michael being alone at home. Yesterday he said "I'm just worried about Michael, will he be alright at home
Crazy HouseCrazy HouseCrazy House

The kids did indeed go crazy here.
on his own".

Julie had quite a bad headache for much of the day but she had promised Milla that we could go across the road to the local Karaoke bar for a family Karaoke session. I seriously doubted that Julie would be up to it but I underestimated the curative powers of Karaoke. You could hire out the whole Karaoke bar for 60,000 dong an hour (about $3.50). Once Milla and Julie got hold of the microphone it was clear that one hour was never going to be enough time. Everyone got into the act (I reluctantly confess that I butchered Queen's Radio Ga Ga). Suffice to say that the ABBA back catalogue received a real thrashing. Reuben belted out the Bee Gee's Staying Alive not once but twice! The staff thought we were hilarious, particularly Jude who insisted on singing along to songs without using any words at all. We left the staff with ringing ears after 2 hours of non stop singing.

Can't say we were looking forward to the 5 hour bus trip to Nha Trang. In the end it was no drama. Julie took drugs and slept most of the way. Reuben felt
Ring that bellRing that bellRing that bell

Milla sends some prayers flying.
sick, moaned a lot as we negotiated spectacularly windy mountain roads, took drugs and then slept. Milla found a 'bed' in the back of the bus and spent most of the trip lying there peacefully. Jude listened to stories and eventually put himself to sleep. As for me, I found myself watching the driver (negotiating hairpin bends on a one-lane mountain road, trucks coming head on, whilst driving one-handed, speaking on his mobile phone) wishing I had put a post it note on that bell...

Nha Trang is billed as the Vietnam's Gold Coast. Was expecting to hate it but I think the comparison is unfair to Nha Trang. Its a spectacular spot with mountains coming right down to the sea and Jurassic Park islands looming on the horizon. The development along the coast is pretty gruesome but nature still prevails, for the time being. The ocean is anything but turquoise and inviting. Huge brown surf was pounding the beach, the water muddy from the winter monsoon rains.

We ended up at an ugly soviet era hotel with one major plus. A huge swimming pool in a courtyard where the kids can swim as much as they like.
I am not afraidI am not afraidI am not afraid

Reuben is confronting a newly aquired fear of heights in a seven storey pagoda
Armies of staff swarm about the place cleaning and generally being attentive. Had a great al fresco buffet breakfast by the pool, which the kids were swimmng in by 7.30 am. I think kid power will mean that we spend 2 nights here. If the kids are happy....









Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Don't worry be happyDon't worry be happy
Don't worry be happy

Jude has a new camera face that he is trying out.
Reuben and templeReuben and temple
Reuben and temple

Back on terra firma and glad to be there
Karaoke in DalatKaraoke in Dalat
Karaoke in Dalat

It was impossible to get the microphones off Julie and Milla once they got going.
DuetDuet
Duet

Jude couldn't read the lyrics but that didn't stop him making heaps of noise.
Stayin AliveStayin Alive
Stayin Alive

Reuben's rap rendition of Stayin' Alive was a hit with the staff
Drugs are greatDrugs are great
Drugs are great

This is how to travel on a bus with children. We will be stocking up...
Best seat on the busBest seat on the bus
Best seat on the bus

Milla and jiude get comfortable for the 5 hour trip from Dalat to Nha Trang
Vien Dong hotelVien Dong hotel
Vien Dong hotel

It might be ugly but it has a pool so we're there.
This is livingThis is living
This is living

Jude is happy. He's had a swim and it's still only 8 am


23rd November 2009

So enjoying the ride
Hi Steve and Julie, Reuben, Milla and Jude - sounds like the family is mastering this travelling thing. Enjoying hearing all about it- Steve, I think you may be conceiving a book. Keep safe and well and enjoy. Love Carole and Harley
23rd November 2009

We still have our moments
Thanks guys. Yeah the kids are having fun. Spent a couple of days in a pool here in Nha Trang. I even managed to drag Milla and Reuben to some ancient temples which was a coup when an air conditioned room with cable TV was the alternative. They're tuckered out tonight after non stop swimming in the pool. I don't think any of them have ever drank so much soft drink in their lives... Stay in touch Steven
23rd November 2009

Hi guys Looks like you're having a great time. Don't worry Jude. I'm really happy staying at your place. Ffan is keeping me company. I had a little trip to Sydney but am back now. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more. Love Michael
23rd November 2009

in the groove ...
... sounds like things are coming along just 'swimmingly' ...
24th November 2009

Sleeper bus ?
About to emabark on a 11 hour bus trip to Hoi An. Opted for the overnight bus with beds ?! Decided it was a better option than 2 x 5 hour journeys in the local mini vans. Let you know how it goes
24th November 2009

I'll reassure Jude
I'll let Jude know that you are coping OK. How was your trip to Sydney. Cows giving you any grief? We're about to head off on an 11 hour bus trip. Should be a new experience as it is on a sleeper bus, instead of a seat you have a little bed to lie down on. Not sure how much sleeping will happen. Let you know.
24th November 2009

Hi guys Don't worry about me Jude. I'm having a great time in your big house. Ffan is keeping me company and I have lots of things to do to keep me busy. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures. Great photos. Big love to all. Michael
24th November 2009

looks like fun
Hi Guys. Looks like you are having a great time. Yes the hotel pool is still the greatest attraction of all. If only you could have folding one in your pocket wherever you go, then travelling with kids will be a doddle. Pam has been to Na Trang and agrees that it is better than the gold coast. She rememvers having a great time going out on a boat trip to some remote island where they were excited about seeing foreigners. Can;t wait to get my hands on your self published karaoke tracks. Im surprised you didn't rip some discs onto the blog so we could hear some of the action. Cheers from John, Pam, Alex and Lucas
25th November 2009

Karaoke madness
Hi guys, I made sure the Karaoke masters were burnt (as in torched) before they fell into the wrong hands ie anyone. Survived a 12 hour sleeper bus trip last night. Now in beautiful Hoi An in a hotel with (you guessed it) a pool. Still only $35 for all of us. Where are you guys now?

Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb