happy v-dayyy!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
February 17th 2006
Published: February 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Soooo... on the 14th, we took the bus to Nha Trang! We had heard mixed things about the places, but overall, it's kind of like a Vietnamese Florida or something... there are giant hotels in the makingon the beachfront (some realllly weird ones. look like spaceships). Not our fave place in Vietnam, but we did have a lot of fun here... after all, it has quite a reputation for being a "party city".

We hung out on the beach the first day... in the afternoon the waves are so powerful! a lot of fun to swim in. Then, out for a valentines dinner (fab carmelized clay-pot food), and drinks at a place that gave the girls roses, champagne, and fruit all night. We ended up meeting up with the Dutch couple, and a few others we had stayed with in Mui Ne. Also met a rad British couple on a round the world trip... they were cool enough to invite us to stay with them at their place in Bath, England. Twas a fun night!

The next day, we went on a search for teh Giant Seated Buddha, who is perched atop a big hill (read: lots of steps!) on the far end of Nha Trang. Stopped in at a school on the way, where the kids just go crazy for teh foreigners, begging to be in pictures... haha. The Buddha was great! Very large. Very... buddhist. We got asked for money a few too many times while we were there... theyre so persistent! It's hard to say no... but you just can't give money to everyone! And ten dollars for a postcard is just silly (what some kids were asking!). After our loong trek trhough the city, we chilled at the beached, grabbed dinner... the usual.

Yesterday was a blast! We ended up going on an island tour boat, which came free with our bus pass. Really having no idea what we were getting ourselves into, we hopped on the boat with a Quebecer couple we met, thew swiss people, and a few Vietnamese on vacation. It was sooo fun!!! Snorkelling through a coral reef was sweet... saw some cool fishies. We also got a great free lunch, and a free "floating bar". Basically, the "bartender" sat on an innertube in the middle of the ocean, and everyone else made a kind of chain of tubes around him... great fun! Unbearably sweet, cheap Dalat red wine... ickkkk... but fun. We had a blast for the rest of the afternoon! Stopped at a few more islands.. went swimming! So much fun! Later the boat crew (including a dude who wore a motorcycle helmet for the entire trip) got out their instruments and started playing beatles covers... an old vietnamese dude started dancing on the table... so verrry random! That night, we went out with the couple from the boat, along with a billion other people from Quebec. By some craaazy coincidence, half of that province was staying in our little hotel. Beaucoup de francais. Actually, our hotel was preety dece.. clean! it didnt smell like sewage like our last one, either. So today we're just going to chilll on the beach, perhaps, and wait for our bus... 12 hours, through the night... to Hoi An!





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



18th February 2006

So many adventures, so many new people.have you two had any quiet days?The pics are fabulous however I'd like to see the ones you're not showing us! Looks like you're having a tremendous time.Be careful, wear your hats and sunscreen and enjoy your week without me e mailing you while we're away. Love from the whole family, mom
19th February 2006

wow. definitely jealous. you two look like yer doin' it up well. keep takin' those lovely pictures. helps take my mind off the three feet of snow i'm trudging around in. happy trails!!
20th February 2006

Nha Trang -Valentine's Day
Great Pictures - Looks like lots of fun - esp. the party boat -oh I mean the Island Tour Boat - (what is the drinking age?). I esp. loved the picture of Evan with the school kids. Glad to hear you are moving on to Hoi An, have read really good things about it. Valentine's dinner sounded amazing -hope you are picking up some cooking tips.Take care and keep up with the sunscreen! Love MOM
21st February 2006

a' dece
Hey guys yor tirp looks amazing, im very jealous. I'm Glad you havent been abducted by some crazy commies for mind control experiments or something. hualgh!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb