Nha Trang by the Sea


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
December 2nd 2005
Published: December 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we arrived at the Nha Trang Port around 1 pm, and boarded our buses for our excursions straight away. It was cloudy and looked like rain so we all took our umbrellas. Apparently we are right in the Monsoon season. Eg: torrential rain. We were supplied plastic rain coats for our excursions, and we all splashed around sightseeing while the heavens opened up. At some locations people were standing ankle deep in water.

We gamely piled out of the bus and crossed a bridge over some river, sorry don't have my notes with me. Through the water running in my face I viewed a little island that a temple had been built on. The waters of the river are very muddy, as is the sea by the port. Our guide explained that there was a mountain sediment washed into the flow which caused this look. Shona received a little different information, sewers were being drained directly to the river, and they are having to relocate residential areas because of this. Despite all of the above it was very pretty to look at. We climbed the steps of a temple, built of a reddish brick. Supposed to have been built in the 1800's. It housed Buddhas. It is situated on the river in a little grove of trees.

We then drove to a market with many knock-offs. I bought a couple of christmas presents but can not mention them because of little ears.

We then drove to a place of business where the female employees worked 8 hours a day with only a 15 minute break, and one day off a week. They did amazingly beautiful embroidery work and they sold the framed pieces of art. I will must remember that if I feel like complaining. Each employee chose their own colors, and they were all so amazing, and inexpensive too.

We followed this up with a stop at a beach cafe for a coconut drink, but we had a bunch of whiners on the bus and over half refused to disembark so the driver got off and brought the coconuts on board. It was really yummy, and I don't like coconut.

Vietnam is vibrant with different shades of green. The people do not badger you to purchase, (well maybe the postcard sellers), but they are so cute, quite often small children. Many have basic english.

We saw a film on the ship yesterday, Reawakening Vietnam, and it showed clips from both north and south and it is such a beautiful country. You would think that these people may have some animosity towards Americans, but they just look to the future.
The Vietnam was actually a minor war to these people, and quite short lived. But of course we may not hear the rest of the story, but I like the looking to the future one anyway.

Ho Chi Minh City or (Saigon ) next stop..........



Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb