Nha Trang: Sun, Sea but never quite got round to the sand.....


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
November 29th 2006
Published: December 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Left Ho Chi Minh City on an overnight Coach, I believe one of chris's first he's done. The usual coach scenario ensued, no sleep, seat in my lap, locals phones going off at all times of the night (Who phones a mobile at 3 in the morning?) Stupidly staggered stops and toilet breaks (An hour and a half into the 10 hour journey, time for one of the only stops me thinks!) and a over keen horn using driver (At 4 in the morning just as I'm dozing off). Got to Nha Trang and stopped in the guesthouse we wanted, the perfume grass inn, which as it says in the rough guide book, is one of the best places I've stopped in since arriving in Vietnam.
Checked out the Po Nagar Cham towers on the second day, heading there on a back of a scooter. Not so manic as saigon, although probably not as safe as Pai. I'll give the scooters a miss here! Built by Hindus between the seventh and twelfth centuries, when most of South East Asia were followers of the Hindu faith. They are pretty smart and in good condition and is worth going to see for the dollar you pay the scooter driver.
At night me and Chris hit a few bars, the Why Not? bar which was ok and the Nha Trang Sailing Club which was vertical in terms of prices (135,000 Dong for a Bombay Sapphire and Tonic!!)
The next day we booked a trip to see the Islands which surround the Nha Trang area. Met two nice Dutch girls, Juliet and Annaka. Basically the boat trip is a invitation drinking session on the boat which me and Chris gratefully recieved. Did a bit of snorkelling which I ripped the top of my toes open on some coral, its a regular occurance for me when snorkelling as I also did it in the perintians as well. Also the locals figured that we were the craziest people on the boat, most other people were pretty tame so we got to sit up top with them, constantly shouting happy new year! Happy birthday! Happy Mondays! (Not sure what they made of that one). Easily the most craziest part of the boat trip was the Karaoke. Asked to do a song, we decided you can't go wrong with wonderwall in the '2003 top pop songs' book they gave us, however it seems the locals aren't aware of those loveable scallies from Manchester, or didn't know how to play wonderwall. Either we pointed to the wrong song or they got the wrong end of the stick but we ended up singing Wonderwall to Wonderful tonight by Eric Clapton!! How I see it, we would have murdered Wonderwall anyway.....
No Coconut monk islands here unfortunately, although there was a Aquarium that from the outside felt like you were queing up for Nemesis at Alton Towers. Drank the worst tasting wine I have ever tasted on a floating bar in the water. Also went to an island and played some Volleyball Top Gun style, which was interrupted by a load of drunk english and Irish, one guy poor lad from Kent asked me where I was from, I replied I was from Birmingham which he proceeded to do a scouse accent for, poor guy I didn't have the heart to tell him.....
Went out with the Dutch girls on the final night as well as two Canadian girls we met in Saigon, the dutch were little demons at table football giving us a right shoeing, we english just aren't taught the technical skills needed for the modern game. Met an Australian guy called Evan who we'll meet again once we get to Hoi An.
As the title says didn't see much of the beach because on Star Movies there was a James Bond Marathon on. Once you've done all the sights, why sit on the beach when you can watch Roger Moore in Moonraker?


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

You Look Wonderwall tonight...You Look Wonderwall tonight...
You Look Wonderwall tonight...

Singing that well known song by Oasis Vs Eric Clapton
The Boat Trip, Nha TrangThe Boat Trip, Nha Trang
The Boat Trip, Nha Trang

Getting a brew on....
The Boat Trip, Nha TrangThe Boat Trip, Nha Trang
The Boat Trip, Nha Trang

Getting turned by a dutch girl who drops a Cruyff turn... Perhaps every dutch person knows how to do it, perhaps its Genetic?
The Boat Trip, Nha TrangThe Boat Trip, Nha Trang
The Boat Trip, Nha Trang

Going into an Aquarium that looks like the Nemesis at alton towers....
Eating on the street, Nha TrangEating on the street, Nha Trang
Eating on the street, Nha Trang

Me Chris and 2 Canadian girls, Heather and Amy


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb