Sailing on Bai Tu Long Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hai Phong
March 19th 2017
Published: March 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our last Vietnam adventure was a four day, two night trip on a teakwood boat to Bai Tu Long Bay with Indochina Junk. Tom, always the master planner, had decided long ago that we’d be happier without a crowd of tourists, so he reserved a one-stateroom boat. Bai Tu Long Bay is a less crowded area off HaLong Bay, which has become more and more crowded with tourists over the past 9 years.

Thanks to Tom’s planning, we sailed in luxury on the Princess Junk, with a crew of four (captain, mechanic, chef and guide) taking care –very good care – of us. The weather was foggy and cool, so we spent a good deal of time inside the small dining room cabin, rather than on one of the two decks. Trips out into the bays are pretty similar, traveling around the thousands of karst islands. All the trips offer kayaking (too cold!) and an excursion to a rather sorry cave. The big difference is your boat and its crew.



I had awakened the morning of our trip with laryngitis, so Alex, our guide, kept me well supplied with ginger tea, while our chef, Giang, created
The Princess JunkThe Princess JunkThe Princess Junk

They raised the sails, then quickly put us into a small boat so we could take photos.
beautiful, tasty and frequent(!) meals. Captain Khang and mechanic Toi made the ride smooth. They even provided a “barbecue” on a beach, which included five kinds of grilled meat served on a table covered with white linen. I felt like a colonial lady.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Cleopatra of the BayCleopatra of the Bay
Cleopatra of the Bay

Most of the time, it was too cold to stay on the forward deck.
Master PlannerMaster Planner
Master Planner

This trip was the highlight of our visit to Vietnam, and he did 99% of the planning.
Karst IslandKarst Island
Karst Island

Thousands and thousands of islands, making you wonder what an underwater radar image would show.
Misty WeatherMisty Weather
Misty Weather

I wonder if it's ever sunny?
Cranes at DinnerCranes at Dinner
Cranes at Dinner

The chef, Mr. Giang, took 90 minutes to create these cranes from daikon and carrot.
HawkHawk
Hawk

Made of pumpkin
The Princess JunkThe Princess Junk
The Princess Junk

Boat made of watermelon rind; sails of carrot


20th March 2017

great pics!
The hand carved statues are unbelievable! We are SO living vicariously through you guys! (for now) We want to be you soon! ;-)

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb