Sapa 30th April to 2nd May


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai
May 3rd 2015
Published: May 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Sapa walk 1st and 2nd May

Started off at the hotel around 9.30am. Very hot day already but a different type of heat then what is found in Hanoi. A lot drier.

Walked down the mountainside and along getting to see a lot of rice fields and locals. Along the way we had a few local Hmong women who were there to help us negotiate the paths, etc. if needed. One lady was very insistent in helping me - I must have looked in need of help negotiating the potholes etc. We stopped a few times as one of the women had a baby that needed feeding a couple of times. (See picture). Their clothing is really gorgeous and exquisitely embroidered and must also be very hot. It was only when we stopped for lunch you find out they expect you to buy something from them for helping. I didn't mind as it was a very hot and long walk until we reached our lunchtime destination.

After lunch you then get escorted by another group of women who also expect you to buy something from them. I didn't think they were as nice as the first ones as they were more interested in getting you to agree to buy something, and once you had they disappeared real fast. Even the little kids are trying to sell as well.

Have some nice pictures of lots of rice fields and local scenery. It is very hard work for these people as a lot of them come down from the mountainside early in the morning to try and sell the things they have made and then have to go all the way home again. Our route on the first day involved walking on a lot of concrete road and motorcycle paths so this made it even hotter and hard on the feet. Would have been a nice walk except for the concrete.

We reached our Homestay around 3pm and after a nice cool shower just relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. Bronwyn and I got to sleep in the main part of the house which is just a concrete floor with material bed dividers and mosquito nets. The bed was comfy once they fixed mine which broke when I got on it. !!!!

Dinner was with the family and the food was the best we have had in Vietnam, all made in their one pot kitchen. We also got to have some rice wine - though I only sipped mine as it is very strong, must be close to pure alcohol. Our guide Chai told us about her upbringing and current life - she has not had an easy life.

Needless to say we all went to bed quite early.

Given the heat on the first day we were keen to get an early start to try and beat some of the heat but didn't start until around 8.30. During the night one of group was quite ill and our guide had to get a taxi for her to go back to the hotel.

Onward and upward they say - the day was a lot of ups and downs and they were severe ups and downs. I found the downs very hard and resorted to walking sideways down the hills due to the grade. Lots of rests this morning which was good and we had lots of time as we didn't have to walk so far this time - just down the mountain and back up the other side to where we were being picked up by a bus to take us back to the hotel. No buying today as my backpack is heavy enough to carry with the purchases from yesterday.

We got back to the hotel around lunchtime and were able to relax in the hotel waiting room and have a shower. Bronwyn and I had lunch first then had a shower and just plonked down for the remainder of the afternoon until 5pm when we were getting a bus back to Lao Cai for the train ride back to Hanoi.

What is truly amazing is that everyone has free wi-fi - even in the middle of nowhere - and this is not a developed country. This sort of service puts Australia to shame.

Once we arrived back in Lao Cai had dinner at the restaurant that is run by the guide who helps us with the train tickets and getting onboard. Bronwyn and I had to share with a couple and their toddler but once the train was moving we all went to sleep - well I tried but sat up for a while and just looked out the window at the night scenery until I was tired enough to fall asleep.

Train arrives back in Hanoi around 4.30am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb