Goodmorning Vietnam!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
July 20th 2006
Published: July 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Vietnam!

Well we're in Vietnam....it's a releif because we wanted to see something new and stop spending money in China!! We took the sleeper bus and it was literally a couch bus with 3 rows of beds and 2 bunks up...but the back had 5 tiny ones at the back side by side with no divider!! Worst seats in the house!! The gravitational pull at the back felt like we were on the worst ride at wonderland....but 10 and a half hours seemed okay....bit tired and wanted to shower but we had to get on another 10 and a half hour bus ride (normal seats) to the border town. So literally 24hrs of bus and the second one could have been going around the same mountain in a circle for the entire time because that's what it felt like. Little kids were being sick and men horking everywhere and then I felt like being sick and it was not a pretty sight! The border closes at 5 so we had to spend the night in the sketchiest border town and it was filthy! We just wanted to be in Vietnam and we could see it and walk to it but we couldn't quite get there! Slept with a coffee pot infront of our door so we could listen for intruders...(but i don't know what it would have done besides give me time to hide under the covers!) While looking for the bank the next morning we ran into the British couple we had met in Tibet who were trying to do the same thing...so that was a releif. Maybe about 20 people checked our passports and finally we walked across the river (well over a bridge...i'm not Jesus) that divides the countries and we were in Vietnam. Got a sketchy van with too many people in it to Sapa, a small French town in the North. Relaxed today and walked around this very small colonial town. Sapa is still at a high altitude so the clouds are really close and tomorrow we're off for 2 days on a trek to see some tribal villages and spend the night in one of them in a bamboo hut. I don't think we'll get a chocolate on our pillow or anything but it should be interesting!!

Good to hear all your comments and good to hear what your up to at home!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb