Good Morning Vietnam!


Advertisement
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
November 16th 2012
Published: November 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are a bit behind on our blog as since we arrived in Vietnam 8 days ago we have been having too much fun to go online much, but here is our entry from our first few days in the Northern town of Sapa... So, once we were stamped out of China we crossed a short bridge and entered Vietnam at last, which was a strange but exhilarating feeling. We have been so excited about coming to Vietnam for ages... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




22nd November 2012

Nice Pics :)
I must make my way up there some time in the near future. The north does have a worse reputation for scams than the south. In some areas, ripping tourists off does seem to be a Vietnamese national past time, so be careful. The most common scam comes at the petrol station when refuelling your bike. Always make sure they zero the pump and watch the numbers carefully. Stick to the well known taxi services such as Vinasun and Mai Linh as some of the lesser known companies can be a little suspect. Some shops and traders will generally try to make a few bucks out of you, sometimes charging you double what the locals pay. Generally, once you have agreed a price, people very rarely go back on it. The Vietnamese people are still quite honourable but if you do get into any difficult situations then threaten to call the police. The word for police is 'Canh Sat'. Realistically, most of the police officers here don't speak English and won't come to your aid if the amounts are small, however, your hotel should be able to help you if you encounter any serious problems. Otherwise, don't become too paranoid. Vietnam is a wonderful country, the people are wonderful and thankfully, scams are still few and far between.

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 20; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb