Highland Wonderlands


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
December 10th 2005
Published: December 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sapa is set in the North of Vietnam and is close to the Border with China. It is a beautiful town that has a tranquil air that is in complete contrast to Hanoi. Here you can see black H'Mung tribal people at the market, or even visit their homes and see how they manufacture their own clothing from Hemp and dye it using indigo dye.

The village we visited was on a steep hill. Pigs, chickens, dogs and cats where lolling about in the sun, whilst little children played on precarious balconies. The humour of the tribal people shown as old women joked and bartered their goods. The hills looked like they where covered by huge steps, as even these had been utilised to grow rice and other veg.

Some locals talked about opium fields that used to grow on the hills around the town. I was shocked when an old trbal woman asked us " Do you want to buy a blanket,,,, a scarf.... some Opium!"

Unfortunately tourism has already begun to affect life here, much of the tribals peoples focus is on the tourist dollar. But do not let this put you off. I will
Girl in traditional dress,Girl in traditional dress,Girl in traditional dress,

she drove a hard bargain with the bracelets!
visit again and spend more time tracking and exploring the hills. It is wonderful place with beautiful views and friendly people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Kids and snake, Bac HaKids and snake, Bac Ha
Kids and snake, Bac Ha

Mum tells the kids to stop playing with their food!!


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb