Vietnam, Halong Bay, DaNang, Hoi An


Advertisement
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
April 19th 2016
Published: April 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

It was our spring break at KAS, so we decided to visit the Northern and Central areas of Vietnam. We arrived Saturday morning at the Vietnam Airlines counter and discovered that we had been upgraded to First Class. What a great way to start a holiday! We were greeted in at the airport in Hanoi by a representative of Galaxy Cruise Lines and whisked to our hotel, The Silk Palace, in the old quarter... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Mystical MagicMystical Magic
Mystical Magic

We went walking through caves on one of the islands. The view from the exit was magical! A light fog hung over the limestone outcrops creating mystical magic.
Cooking ClassCooking Class
Cooking Class

They showed us how to make spring rolls once we returned from exploring the caves. They then cooked and served them to us for lunch!
Hoan Kiem Lake, HanoiHoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi
Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi

Hoan Kiem Lake is considered one of the first things to see in Hanoi when one arrives in this bustling capital city. It lies in the heart of the Old Quarter and there are many legends connected with the lake. The Huc bridge connects to the Ngoc Son Temple.
Meal TimeMeal Time
Meal Time

The Vietnamese gather for their evening meal AFTER their work day. A mobile cooking cart appears and they sit on short, little stools to eat and visit.
Waiting for the Water Puppet ShowWaiting for the Water Puppet Show
Waiting for the Water Puppet Show

Water Puppetry is a tradition that dates back to the 11th century and originated in the Red River Delta area of northern Vietnam. Puppeteers hidden behind a curtain control the puppets with bamboo rods.
Water Puppet ShowWater Puppet Show
Water Puppet Show

The puppets perform in a 3 foot deep pool. The band sings and plays as the puppets bob in the water. It was a colourful and entertaining 60 minute show.
HAAP Hotel's Huge BathroomHAAP Hotel's Huge Bathroom
HAAP Hotel's Huge Bathroom

The bathroom was huge and well equipped with a bottom wash, rain head shower and even a jet-tub. We enjoyed our stay at the Haap Transit Hotel near the Hanoi International airport.
Beautiful Beach Hotel, Da NangBeautiful Beach Hotel, Da Nang
Beautiful Beach Hotel, Da Nang

Our hotel was a block off the malecon/beach. We had an 11th floor suite with a huge bathroom, sitting room and king size bed. $37 CAD including breakfast for 2 , what a terrific deal.
The Famous China BeachThe Famous China Beach
The Famous China Beach

Locally known as East Beach this is the internationally renowned China Beach (Non Nuoc). It is a 20 mile stretch from north of Da Nang to Hoi An. Perfect sand and perfectly clean.
China Beach, VietnamChina Beach, Vietnam
China Beach, Vietnam

The beautiful sand beach, along with the ocasional jellyfish and tourist, was a great place to stroll and see the building, building, building of Da Nang.
Jellyfish SeasonJellyfish Season
Jellyfish Season

We were told that it was jellyfish season. This little guy was washed up on the beach.
Round BoatsRound Boats
Round Boats

We noticed this type of round, bambo boat covered with tar. They're used for most everything in the water. The lifeguards even used them to rescue some oriental people that got away from the swim area.
Local RestaurantsLocal Restaurants
Local Restaurants

We found these little simple restaurants throughout our time in Vietnam. We'd look at the pictures and decide what we wanted. The food was beyond delicious. Maurice enjoyed the seafood rice.
The Famous Dragon Bridge, Da NangThe Famous Dragon Bridge, Da Nang
The Famous Dragon Bridge, Da Nang

Da Nang is the 4th largest city in Vietnam. It now has 5 bridges that span the mighty Han River. This one changes colour regularly, and on weekends, it spits fire twice nightly for the crowds.
Han River Boat CruiseHan River Boat Cruise
Han River Boat Cruise

We stumbled upon the pier where the river cruises launched. We were easily convinced to take a one hour cruise under all the bridges and back. It was very colorful and relaxing.
Rooftop Bar On the 39th FloorRooftop Bar On the 39th Floor
Rooftop Bar On the 39th Floor

We met a young Vietnamese couple from London and their 2 children while on the cruise boat. They suggested we join them on the top of the Novotel building and shared a few drinks. The view was spectacular.
Lady Buddha at Son Tran PeninsulaLady Buddha at Son Tran Peninsula
Lady Buddha at Son Tran Peninsula

The 67 meter Lady Buddha statue stands in sparkling white splendour on Monkey Mountain in the Son Tran Peninsula just a few miles north of Da Nang.
Clean Grounds and Sparkling StatueClean Grounds and Sparkling Statue
Clean Grounds and Sparkling Statue

The statue was impressive, the grounds clean and serene. The view of Da Nang and the beach was outstanding. There was no admittance fee, and no hawkers bothering the visitors.
Danang Harbour for Fishing BoatsDanang Harbour for Fishing Boats
Danang Harbour for Fishing Boats

With only one bridge 5 years ago, the area between the Han River and the ocean was a fishing village. 5 new bridges now connect Da Nang and the beach area. Many hotels, restaurants and small shops have changed the landscap.
Marble MountainsMarble Mountains
Marble Mountains

There are 5 small marble mountains 10 kilometres south of Da Nang. The mountains have become a major tourist attraction, as they are filled with caves and various tunnels. Centuries ago they were used by Buddhists monks for worship and ancient warlords for treasure storage.
Marble and Stone SculpturesMarble and Stone Sculptures
Marble and Stone Sculptures

There are many stores and hawkers selling marble and stone sculptures. They were naturally coloured and incredibly detailed.



26th April 2016

Vietnam
We knew you would love Vietnam!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb