Back From HaLong Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
May 2nd 2006
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

arrived back from HaLong Bay at around 5pm. Spent the last two days swimming and Kayaking in the South China Sea (Tonkin Gulf?).
We have booked our last two trips through a company called Handspan and both trips SAPA and Halong Bay have been excellent. I think we have payed a bit more than the standard backpacker rate but it has been worth it.
When we arrived at halong Bay (31/2hr bus trip from Hanoi) we were taken to the tourist departure Zone which is just a sea of chinese Junks, picking our boat from this lot was difficult.Mind you after climbing over several other basic Junks we got to ours and to our suprise it put the Queen Mary to shame. Two story Junk with spacious ensuited cabins hot water, it has probably been the cleanest accom we have had all trip.
Lunch first day a mixture of fresh cooked prawns crabs and a number of Halida beer (local Vietnam beer). I, Jane, Emma have just loved the food Sam is warming to it mind you after eating his second crab he said "I think I'm beginning to enjoy seafood" Emma wasn't impressed less for her.
We travelled on the boat for a couple of hours past amazing rock formations (Karsts ?) visited the Tin Toc caves (I think that name is wrong) and then anchored for the night in a sheltered harbour, another amazing Vietamese seafood dinner, few beers and a great sleep.
Next morning again travelled past these amazing rock formations and were met by a support boat which had our Sea Kayaks waiting, Emma woke not feeling well so Jane and Emma had a leusurly morning on the support boat whilst Sam and I paddeled with two other kayaks and our guide to some amazing areas, met the boat, another sensational meal, and after lunch Jane and Emma joined for a further three hours of paddling through some amazing scenery. We so far have taken a number of great shots but as yet havenet been able to download them to the blog will in due course,
Met by our support boat which then took us through to Cat Ba island, which is more or less a holiday resort town, spent the night on Cat Ba, short walk through the town, all tired early night. Back on the boat this morning and again travelled through some amazing scenery before a 30 min swim. Sam entertained everyone with his flips off the top deck of the Junk all the crew were laughing at him, mind you he did have a couple of hard hits into the water, (we all laughed then).
Back into Halong Bay, another lunch before again a 3 1/2 hr bus trip back to Hanoi. Went straight back to the Old Qtr where Jane bargained with a tout and we got a good room with an extra bed for sam (Double, single , Sam on floor $15/night including breakfast, internet).
We also had a win when we got back our camera had been playing up but we found a little store in the Old Qtr who was able to restore some 200 photos that we had thought we had lost, next blog will let those travelling where it is (I havent his card at the moment) , At this stage have backed all our photos on to disk (x 2). hopefully if anything else goes wrong with the camera we will at least have some photos.
Everyone else has gone to bed I;m using this dodgy computer in the lobby of our flash hotel?. Leave Hanoi tommorow to fly Danang then onto Hoi ann will keep everyone posted, Regards The TICKS.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb