Heavenly Ha long - Descending Dragon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
April 21st 2010
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We stayed the night at Rendezvous before we got up early to go to Ha Long bay as it turns out Ha Long bay has a legend to its name there was a mother and baby dragon they both came down to halong when there was a war between vietnam and China the gods sent a family of Dragon's to protect the land and they spat out like fire rocks which cause the Karsts you see today they say the dragon family never left and so it was named Ha - Descending & Long - Dragon hence the name Halong Bay.

so we learnt in the bus on the way there from our lovely guide Ahn we were also today that in Vietnam have four creatures that are classed as sacred they are the Dragon, Unicorn. Phoenix, Turtle. I myself have always been attracted to the unicorn it was always my favourite along side Fairy's in regards to what some call mythical creatures. It takes about 3 1/2 hours of driving through lovely countryside to get to Halong along the way I missed a few great photo opportunities as I was on the wrong side of the bus what a shame hopefully I will have another chance to capture something similar somewhere! Ahn was explaining how the trip would go and that there is some people stay one nigh on the boat, some staying two nights on the boat and some staying one night on and one on Cat Ba Island,,,,soon after explain all this her phone rang she looked concerned when she was speaking on the phone and very serious after she got off the phone she looked up and said she had an announcement to make....very seriously she explained for those that had booked on night on and one off that the hotel is fully booked as it is high season for local tourist....my heart sank thinking we were going to have to come back early however we were luck enough that she gave us the option to stay on the boat for the two nights if we were happy to do so....happy I was ecstatic as we had only gone for that option as we couldn't afford to stay on the boat for both nights! So as it turned out the rendezvous crew us and three canadian girls were the only ones that it was all going to change for and as it was they were stoked as well as they were in the same boat as us...where it was a budget decision not a preference to stay on cat ba in the first place. We stopped half way for a toilet break I was greatful the toilets were nice even though the doors were about half the size of normal doors. We were soon underway and arrived in the land of hundreds of halong peaks (islands)and just about as many junks surrounding them even on arrival this place is inspiring there is many people going to get on there little and big junks for days, nights and weeks all waiting here at the dock along side our group....we wait for a little boat to come in to drop off the people that were getting off the Opera that day and then we board and head for our boat cruising through the little maze of boats we see our grand beauty of a boat from the distance and get a little more excited. On reaching our boat we are greeted by a lady dressed in traditional dress and rose petals are dropped over us...we make our way upstairs to be seated in the restaurant and are soon given our room keys to go and freshen up...everyone is amazed at how lovely there room and the boat it its nicer than a lot of rooms we have stayed in we have a quick freshen up and head upstairs for some lunch...it turns out all meals bar the breakfast are brought out and placed on the table and you share whatever it is they put in front of you on the table...the foods was good...not amazing but nice and fresh the set enough sets for how many people there are so you sit with a group of people and chat and get to know each other, We got to know a malaysian family Louie (has and infectious laugh) Helen and there Daughter Angelyn what a nice family I hope to see them again soon...maybe we will be in KL again sometime soon and get to see them. Lindsey, Kirsty and Steph from canada are sporty, adventurous young ladies and friendly as hopefully they will make it to the Goldy one day to see us, Christina a cute and very sweet part vietnamese lady from cheq republic.

We all soon head off to the Amazing cave which is massive and is pretty amazing it has rocks of all different shapes lighten up throughout the place and takes about 45 mins to walk through...the view from up the top is pretty cool as well....after the cave we head to Ti Top island and Mike and I and the rest of the group walk up to the top each in our own time the view was unbelievable and you really understand as you go through this place and see these things why in it is a UNESCO recognised place it is one of the most beautiful sights ever soon after we got back down to the beach where I head around the corner to use the toilet and discover three european toilets in a row with no walls or doors in between haha never seen that before.... 'I am in here' really wont work in this application. Ahn called us to go back to the boat there was some pretty big clouds and I think she wanted to get us back just in case....I think we were all greatful to get back to have freshen up and a quick rest before dinner. After dinner we went up and sat on the roof top for a while and chatted until it was to cold to stay up and the bed was calling amazing how fresh air and a walk can make you tired.

In the morning we have a early start and we head off to Cat Ba island and into the national park where we decide to climb up to the top of the park to the view point well we had been warned by some other people we met that its really slippery and due to not thinking we were going to climb up neither of us are wear practical shoes but we think oh well lets do it it hasn't been raining...it can't be that bad....as we go along the track gets worse and worse and there is some times when I think I can't go any further in my crappy slipper shoes but Mike keeps encouraging me and everyone else and we eventually after climbing up rusty ladders with broken hand rails that are on a 85o angle and rock faces that you have to use all fours to get up make it to the top. The view is different as there is a view of the hills/peaks and no water....we could have gone up the rusty old tower on top (some did) however I wasn't to keen! Once we were up there Christina and I were both really worried about going back down I was extremely scared that I was going to fall as we all know that I am the one that usually falls over...it was at this point that Ahn tells me this is her first time all the way to the top and she is wearing jandels hehe she is small and light on her feet though....we make out way down and I do a lot better than I thought a few times relying on sitting to make my way down as it makes me more confident....Helen is the only casualty she slipped over twice but luckily it was just on the slippery clay and not on the rocks and was not hurt Mike spent the whole way down explain where hands and feet were to be put as the malay's hadn't done anything like this before,..I had names us team opera and used encouraging 'go team opera you can do it, your doing well keep on going' phrase to encourage as we went along. When we finally made it to the bottom Angelyn came out with 'Yay team opera you did it!' we all stopped for ice cream and washed our very muddy shoes before heading off to Cat Ba beach to the hotel we were going to stay at for lunch....the day appeared to be fining up a bit and we could see some blue sky now and we hope it will stay that way for our return to the boat.

On our way back to the cave we head to the hospital cave this was used during the war,when we got up there we were like is this it...but no it wasn't there is a door that is made of big steel doors we go in and explore there is 17 rooms and three stories and a swimming pool. It took three years for the cave to be built and was used for the operation, treatment and rehab during the war.

We jump back into the bus after the cave and head back to the boat to our delight the weather is stunning and the sun dropping slowly over the water creates the most amazing light to finish off a adventurous day in style....we slowly make our way back to the big boat with ever changing light and scenery that's so interesting to me I think I forget to get involved in most of the conversation as I am left gazing at the amazing rock formations and jumping up to snap photos every so often just in case something different is hanging out behind the top of the boat I can't see past on arrival back to the boat shower is required...I forgot to get a bit of mud off from the amazingly dangerous climb of the day but hey its all good....soon I head upstairs with laptop in hand to write some blog but get side tracked looking at photos with other interested parties on the boat....there is new people here today and the dynamic is a little different but this boat is a lovely place to be soon I am convinced to join in the cooking class again and I do much better with the preparation of the spring rolls and yes I think I can make fresh spring rolls at home now...would be nice to have known how to make our fav the fried ones but maybe one day it will happen. Dinner and then a movie I soon get bored of sitting and watching a movie and I can't write as my shoulder is killing its been playing up for a few days so I head down to bed for a early night.

In the morning the decision is no kayaking for me so I stay behind to pack and relax and Mike heads out with the group....young Christina didn't go either sounds like it was great fun and a bit of a laugh as the Malay's first time I can imagine I remember my first time its something you often don't get straight away but everyone stayed above board and made it back safely so happy days! We check out of our room so that they can clean on the trip in before collecting the next group 35 vietnamese....we make our way back through the overcast day and reflect on what has been one of the most amazing things we have done....UNESCO you know your stuff this place rocks.

We have some lunch and arrive back into the port and jump onto the little boat and say goodbye to Opera Cruise and make our way to shore we are so glad we came when we did when we reach shore as it is packed even the bus can't come in the gates as there is so many people arriving today its the start of the vietnam Summer holidays and its sooo busy.

The bus trip back is good and I manage to stay awake (just) to take a few photos of things that I really wanted the girls on the bike both pedalling together and the people in the rice terraces...we arrived back to Rendezvous and grabbed our bags and got to booking somewhere for beijing....we head down the road grab some food best meal at the same place that we went to with the aussies last time but this time we head into the kitchen and choose the local delights we want and they heat and serve as ordered and as expected I went a little mad and we had a tale full of food and ended up giving some to the couple beside us to try....we head back via the bakery get a treat each and a cake for the crew...we head in and have our last chat with Luke and Sarah and share some photos and give them the cake before heading to the train in a taxi.

Next China so excited now we have a bed to stay in hehe




Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 31


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb