Sailing among the descending dragons...


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
September 1st 2005
Published: September 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We opted to take a three day and two night trip into the World Heritage Site of Halong Bay. Boarded our junk in Halong City in the chaotic port and eventually negotiated our way out of the harbour. We stopped at the largest cave in the bay and some time wandering around the caverns listening to the echoes and being told some of the legends of this area. That afternoon, Juliet and I opted for a refreshing swim in the open water of the South China Sea -Sara chose to be the photographer. A jump from the top deck of the boat (after some persuasion from Juliet) resulted in a fantastic bruise on my arm from the impact with the water - I need to perfect my water entries!! We changed boats in order to sail to our overnight accommodation in a Cat Ba Island Hotel.

The following morning we were taken to Cat Ba National Park to climb to the highest point of the island. At times the walk was quite treacherous due to the recent rains and the high humidity meant regular water stops. The views from the top were breathtaking and it was my turn to persuade Juliet to negotiate the rusting metal outlook tower for the ultimate view. Descent proved just as difficult and we were most grateful to the man at the end who poured cold water over our heads to cool off.

Back for lunch and then onto a boat to be taken further into the bay to a fishfarm where some of the group did some kayaking and Juliet and I enjoyed another refreshing swim. We were invited to join some locals for green tea in their floating "home". Another change of boats to sleep out in the bay. We lounged on the top deck of the boat and watched the star filled sky and were lucky to see a shooting star!! A night on the boat originally appealled to us all as being something different to experience however the lack of a/c and finally electricity to power the fans made for a sleepless night.

Slowly sailed to Halong City for a great lunch before heading back to Hanoi.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Water babiesWater babies
Water babies

After taking a leap of faith from the boat's top deck
Great way to spend the afternoonGreat way to spend the afternoon
Great way to spend the afternoon

We had lots of news to catch up on!!!


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb