Halong Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Ha Giang
July 11th 2011
Published: July 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Halong Bay consists of hundreds of rocky island cliffs shooting up from the sea randomly like an obstacle course of floating islands from Avatar. A junk boat is a three or four story cruise ship that looks a lot like a pirate ship. Our junk boat was not junky at all, actually it was fit for kings and queens. The dining hall where they fed us extravagant 7 course meals had glass doors and windows all around. Our room had a/c, a full bath, nice beds and huge windows. On the top deck there were lounge chairs so you could relax like a guilty pirate taking in your fortune to be in such an unreal place. Halong Bay is petitioning to become one of the new 7 wonders of nature so the government is aggressively protecting it. Three months ago the pump on one of the junk boats broke and the bottom of the boat ended up falling out, capsizing the boat taking the lives of 12 tourists. The bay was closed for the government to regroup and put even stricter security regulations on boat operators. Our day was spent hiking through the Luoc volcanic caves, kayaking through tunnels and around the rock walls, jumping off the top deck of the boat and swimming in the water. It takes a lot of effort to put your camera away here but when you do you are overcome by the most peaceful relaxation. My favorite moment of the day was kayaking into a secluded lagoon via a tunnel surrounded by steep cliffs. I laid back on my life jacket, put my feet in the water and listened to the rocks tell me secrets about the world.

On the Road: Being on the road in Vietnam is frightening. Drivers honk constantly and pass each other in the most dangerous of circumstances. I think it's fair to say we almost crashed regularly. The highway's in northern Vietnam have these pit stops that let people use the bathrooms if you walk through the “handicap shop.” The shop sells things made by people living the aftermath of the war. While you walk through they are there at sewing machines or looms many with one arm or a short limb. Most have physical abnormalities probably from napalm or agent orange. Vietnam has many of these handicap shops and they get lots of customers. Being there elicited a combination of sadness, guilt and gratitude. Gratitude that there was at least a place for these people who have suffered so much.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb