the special ones [mums not football managers]


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Bac Kan
February 26th 2014
Published: February 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Czechs have a charming way of describing someone who is peculiar or off their trolley: “he is special.” The kindest thing I can say about the majority of women in Bac Kan is that they are special.

If I want to buy bread at breakfast time, I have to pass three chemists1 and four hairdressers2. One of the main monthly expenses for the Bac Kan household is mum’s hair.

As a good old fashioned chauvinist pig I am happy to note that the women take care of their appearance but there is a slightdrawback: they spend all day with their crash helmet on. In banks, offices, restaurants, walking down the street, selling, buying ….. high heels, puffy jackets, cloth smog masks and a crash helmet.



It is socially unacceptable to have thin sons; hence what often looks like the treatment of suffragettes 100 years ago in dear old blighty. Not only do they press spoons at unwilling mouths, they also – as illustrated- continue to spoonfeed large boys. My mother used to get annoyed at mother blackbirds feeding offspring larger than themselves.
I don’t know what she would have said about Vietnamese mothers. The term, “special” springs to mind.



.1 or pharmacies as we must now learn to call them – God Bless the BBC who have taken to using American English

2 I also pass two large shops which sell crash helmets and bird cages – a combination which sets you wondering about killer birds or “guano” but surely if the bird is caged either threat is minimal.

Advertisement



24th February 2015

strikethrough
can anyone at travelblog know why there are lines through most of the article?

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.047s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb