Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast
December 4th 2013
Published: December 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Arrived Hoi An mid afternoon so went for wander around the old quarter. Here there are many clothes and shoe shops that also make made to order stuff. This town is also very touristy, with lots of eating houses and tour operators.

Next day we went on a cooking class tour. This took us first to the local markets to buy the ingredients - this was very interesting - everything is so fresh. Meat is all just laid out on the table. We got some pork and beef which they cut into very thin slithers for us. The amount of fruit and vegetables around is amazing and it all looks really fresh.

We then boarded a boat for a trip down the river (towards the sea) - saw all the different types of fishing boats and riverside villages. In the delta area we turned into a water coconut grove, where we got onto a small boat and were taken through the coconut grove. Were then taken to a house in the village and were shown how they made rice milk in a old stone grinder. We later used this milk to make crispy pancakes.

Cooking class was great - made fresh spring rolls, crispy pancakes, a beef and noodle dish, and Pho bo - all really tasty - and again we felt like we had eaten far too much.

Next day we hired bikes and cycled out to the beach (China Beach). went for a swim - water was a good temperature but the colour of it was very brown - again the Vietnamese probably think we are nuts going for a swim at this time of the year. The sun did come out for about 5 min.

Enjoyed cycling around some back roads, getting ourselves lost, but having a great time. After all, most roads led back to Hoi An.

It gets dark here at about 5.30pm. In the town all the chinese lanterns are lit up and its very pretty. There is an old Japanese bridge that is also interesting.

Last night decided to forgo Vietnamese food. On the recommendation of a kiwi bloke we bumped into you lives in Hoi An, we went to Al Fresco's for some pork spare ribs - these were really good. There was also a live talent show going on across the road, so had entertainment as well.

Must mention the breakfasts we are having - usually consist of some form of eggs - fried or omelet, Vietnamese noodles (which is like a stir fry, with lots of capsicum and onion in it - more like we would have for dinner than breakfast), and lots of different fresh fruit. The watermelon and pinapples here are delicious. Also had passionfruit pulp mixed with condensed milk - yummy. Our digestive systems are sure getting a good clean out - we aren't eating hardly anything crappy.

We have done a wee bit of shopping here in Hoi An. Bought two Gortex jackets - $30 USD each. I've also picked up a few cotton/silk tops and John got the regulation polo shirts.

So now heading onto Ho Chi Minh this afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb