Hue


Advertisement
Published: September 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Slept fairly wll on the train. Lots of views of rice , buffalo, cassava, rivers, small towns and graves...both asian and military memorials. Close to DMZ. Arrived in Hue about an hour late at 11am. Some negotiation at train station. We thought we could walk to hotel but we were eventually persuaded to take pedicabs. We were each balanced precariously with our packs in front of the driver. It was really really hot..and it was a long way to the hotel so we felt a bit guilty about these poor guys pedalling for ages. We stayed at the Ngoc Binh Hotel for $10 for an ensuite room with air con..really helpful staff who orgnsied maps, bus tickets and food. Pork with lemon grass and coconut and Huda beer for lunch.Walked across Perfume River..actually quite muddy..to a supermarket and then along some ordinary streets to the moated citadel of the Purple Forbidden City. This was the home of the Nyugen Kings. Fairly run down but people restoring it with gold leaf painting. Replicas of costumes and some old buildings and an elephant. Very few tourists. Slow walk back in the heat. Dinner at the Why Not pub then a walk around the restaurant arty area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb