no train for you


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
March 20th 2010
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

So we had plans to take the train from Danang up to Hue on Dave's birthday. It is supposed to be one of the most beautiful stretches of the entire train ride from HCMC to Hanoi. We arrived at the station to find that the train was over 6 hours late and they were just refunding money for tickets. There were several other travellers at the station so we pooled together and rented a mini-van to take us instead. Not as nice as the train, but the scenery was beautiful even from the window of a van packed with tourists. Our lungs took a beating though, as the pollution is just terrible and the van didn't have AC.

We arrived in Hue and found a hotel and then set out to look around and find something to eat. WE couldn't resist the ever-cheesily-named DMZ bar and started our evening with a few beers. We sat on the balcony which allowed us to check out all the activity on the busy street below. We kept humming the Frogger Video Game song as we watched the tourists try to navigate the traffic.

The next day we walked around the city, checked out the Citadel and took an evening flight to Hanoi. Sorry for the lack of interesting details. We are woefully behind and just want to get some photos posted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

old military baseold military base
old military base

I think...our cab driver said something about Americans....
street foodstreet food
street food

good and fried
funny lovefunny love
funny love

I bought this fan for $.40 in the supermarket...best $.40 I spent in a long time. Hue was very hot.


21st March 2010

Hue
Beautiful photos!

Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 72; dbt: 0.198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb