Bikes of Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
March 7th 2006
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

BikesBikesBikes

Going to school.
Bikes are still important in Vietnam. However, the motorbike has taken the lead as the most numerous and popular mode of transport. I think they are also a big problem in Vietnam. They are noisy, belch out much smoke, driven to fast and in the big cities have made the environment so bad I can’t imagine living there all the time.

Some governments in Vietnam have banned the trucks in big cities during part of the day. Some are thinking about banning cyclos. That is the bicycle with two wheels up-front with a small seat between the wheels and the driver sits high in the back peddling his customer around. They have provided much charm to Vietnam and have been a good mode of transportation for almost a hundred years. I think the governments thinking about banning them have it all wrong. The trucks, cars, bicycles and cyclos are not the problem it is all of those smoke-belching motorbikes.

Biking Vietnam puts you in same transportation used by millions of people. It could be an old lady going to market, an old lady taking something to market, kids going to school or a businessman or lady going to work.
BikesBikesBikes

Banana delievery with a cyclo.
From the photo easy in this article you will see they are used for about everything.

My Dad thought the bicycle was just about the best invention ever made. He bought bicycles for many people. He bought old bicycles and repaired them and gave them away. That was his humanitarian project. I have about 10 bicycles here at my house. Anytime my Grandkids come they have a bike to ride.

Here are some bikes I observed in Vietnam.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BikesBikes
Bikes

Cyclo taxi.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Freight delievery with cyclo.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Bicycle with both girls on the peddle.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Colorful dusters for sale.
BikesBikes
Bikes

On the rode behind some Moms going to market.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Not a bike but another form of non-poluting transportation.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Bike with two passengers.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Big loads, little bikes.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Bikes used during the war to go down the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Bike used during wedding. The war years. Now, they rent a car.
BikesBikes
Bikes

Many fish traps on a bike.


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 106; dbt: 0.1261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb