Day 7 – The Caves & DMZ


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Group PhotoGroup PhotoGroup Photo

This was in the caves.
Day 7 - The Caves & DMZ
We got up early, again, and headed to the caves. From what I’ve read and heard these caves were used by HoChiMihn as a hideout.
This cave was awesome. You can’t even describe how beautiful it is inside. The stalagmites and stalactites were huge. I’ve attached many photos of the inside. We then headed to the DMZ. This is at the 17th parallel. This bridge split North and South Vietnam. I guess this bridge was blown up as soon as it got rebuilt. It’s really weird to realize the major fighting that took place here and how short of time it was ago for America. As we drove through the town away from the DMZ you can see some of the old buildings still standing riddled with bullet holes. Some of them have pill boxes still intact sitting in front of their home. Pill boxes are small concrete boxes with little slits for the soldier to put his gun through. Such a sad time in our history…
We continued on the bus drive back to Hue for dinner then back to DaNang. Everyone wanted to head back instead of staying the night there so
On the BoatsOn the BoatsOn the Boats

This was one of the very hard workers steering the boats towards the caves. In the background, little kids are playing in the water.
we could have a day to ourselves. While we where having dinner all the electricity went out. It was really dark. There were a few in the back of the restaurant using the water closet. They were kinda freaked out trying to make their way back to where we were. The lights came back on shortly and we finished dinner and headed home. Tomorrow we hit the markets.
One funny thing I forgot to mention that happened yesterday. While walking around the Citadel these young Chinese teenagers wanted to have their picture taken with Ted. They laughed at how short they were and how tall Ted was. They came to just below his shoulder. It was pretty funny.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

BoatsBoats
Boats

These were some of the many boats that took us to the caves.
Racing UpriverRacing Upriver
Racing Upriver

We needed 3 boats to carry everyone upriver to the caves.
More Boat PhotosMore Boat Photos
More Boat Photos

This boat was just inside the cave taking tourist back out.
DMZDMZ
DMZ

Looking across the reunification bridge at the DMZ. The statue is on the other side of the bridge.


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1133s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb